Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1593597 06/19/06 06:25 PM
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Just wondering if anyone can pass smog with an open air filter intake. I have to get my car smogged before i take it apart to do my 3L swap.

Thanks

3L process done
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
just make sure theres a CARB sticker on it...haha

from my experience...its usually just visual failiure for having an aftermarket cai..

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
No,

you need to put the stock intake back on. It will fail visual.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Alright good thing I kept that somewhere.

Thanks for the quick help!

3L process done
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Actually, you can legally pass with an open air filter as long as all of the sensors are in their stock location. CARB doesn't apply as long as the modifications are still being monitored by the OBD sensors in the stock locations. So a CAI will fail as they usually move the MAF and sensors, but an open air filter in the stock location will be fine.

I left my K&N on all three times I had my car smogged (at three different locations) with no problems at all.

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
ive always passed smog with an open filter no problem. no carb stickers or nuttin.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I got turned away for my filter once, they let me go change it back to stock before doing the test. They said it would fail right off the bat unless there was a CARB number on it. Maybe they were just being overzealous?

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Most likely they just did not know the laws completely. With CARB being such a royal pain in the rear, many places will error on the side of caution. Then again, many other places will look the other way for just about anything for the right $, so it goes both ways.

Heck, I still have the CARB sticker that I got with my old Ranger's K&N drop in that I could just slap on anything. Well, if I still owned a car that is...

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
my SVT failed a visual with the KKM, but it pretty much all depends on 'who' you go to... if you pick jim bob's SMOG station it will probably be less of an issue than if you go to a state funded station

lucky me, my Injen CAI has a CARB Plate - i hope it works!

'04 Mazda6S MTX Injen CAI, 18% Tint, Magnaflow Catback, CPE-MAFc My Mazda6 PICS Toadster's Website
B
bradSVT Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Failed smog today...

I swapped out my SHO-Shop intake for the stock one then took it in to get tested.

Comprehensive Visual Inspection: PASS
Functional Check: FAIL
Emissions Test: PASS

I failed because I unhooked my battery from the car to swap out the intakes. They needed old records of my driving... Now I have to drive around 40 miles and get it retested. Also use up my lunch break again

3L process done
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fmr12B_dup1, path914 

Link Copied to Clipboard