Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by SVZETEC:
Originally posted by hmouta:
can u get blending agents at an auto paint store? or only pro body shops can buy it? always wondered if there was a trick that shops had to blend.

My father has owned a body shop for about 50 yrs...he gets it from his paint rep that works for a local body supply/parts store.

I'd think anyone could possibly get it...but you'd need to stick w/ the brand paint you are using considering they were developed specifically for each manufacturer's product lines...Dupont/Dupont...PPG/PPG...etc.

sweet. good to know

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
Duplicolour makes a filler primer that works great for getting rid of tiny chips and scratches, whenever doing a tuch up job you want to get rid of the imperfections during the primer stage.
I would use 220 to 320 to feather in the paint with the bad spots then primer and then 500 grit to smooth the primer between coats, the amount of primer you use will depend on how bad the areas are, if you lightly dust the areas with the colour then wait about 15 minutes for it to flash between coats and then any where between a few hours to about 12 hours for it to dry before you shoot the clear on.
I have done this on plenty of cars and the results depend on the age of the paint on the car. If the paint is really bad you can always re-paint the entire panel instead of trying to spot paint.
If you try to spot paint it, the best way i have found so far to help blend it without a blending agent is to roll the masking tape long ways, so you kinda make a tube shape out of the tape, this helps to eliminate definite masking lines between the new and the old paint.

1999 Mustang GT 1998 SVT #3217 Of 6535 (Sold) 8/25/97 I will own another SVT
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Actually your friend might be in luck.... Dodge used an experimental paint technology that year that was cheaper to use. They profited very well off it, but found out that this paint + sun = flaking away paint. So they offered a recall for a new paint job for those cars that ended up being effected... Have you friend take it to a dealer and ask them about it... He MIGHT be able to get a free paint job.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
Actually your friend might be in luck.... Dodge used an experimental paint technology that year that was cheaper to use. They profited very well off it, but found out that this paint + sun = flaking away paint. So they offered a recall for a new paint job for those cars that ended up being effected... Have you friend take it to a dealer and ask them about it... He MIGHT be able to get a free paint job.

except recalls/campaigns are only good for two years following the announcement...I'd say a '95 is SOL

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard