Next Thread
Print Thread
B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Ok so I searched and read a bunch before we started this project. My friend has a Monte Carlo with the premium sound system. This HU controls the cars air bag, oil change indicator, tire pressure, its pretty m much the cars computer. So with out knowing how to make the car still function properly with out that HU, we decided to leave it alone and just and his amp and subs, with out an aftermarket HU.
We bought the high to low converter to get a signal off of a rear speaker wire. My understanding of the high low converter is it takes the amplified signal and drops it down so the amp is receiving a "pre amp" signal. With out the converter the amp would be amplifying an already amplified signal which would result in poor sound quality.
The problem is that when the amp is receiving the signal from the high low converter it doesn't play anything. When it is receiving a signal from an mp3 player (did this to make sure the amp was properly hooked up) it works fine. So we know the problem is related to the High Low converter.

Has anyone ever used these high low converters, and do you have any suggestions on what to try??

Thanks Tim

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I think there might be a gain controll (little screw) to adjust it's output. On the converter.

Last edited by jd2-98s; 06/19/06 03:12 PM.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
yes there are two adjustment screws. Changed them and still nothing.

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Ok only other thing is, (I know stupid question) your 100% on it's connection to the factory speakers? If yes, then maybe a defective converter (can happen) without a signal tracer or a scope, there is really no way to verify there is audio going into the converter. It doesn't need power to work iirc. Maybe go back to place of purchase and ask to swap for another.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Yes, 100% sure. Looked up the factory amp speaker wire outs tried it there, and then when that didn't work we tried it at the actual rear speaker. Once neither thing worked we went and got a new converter, went through the same process and still nothing.

I don�t know what else to try??

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
You got me banging my head on the desk lol

B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Thanks for your suggestions. I guess I will just keep trying different things till we get it to work.

C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
How many wires are coming out of the speakers? 2, 3 or 4? I remember some VW's have their speakrs run in series. As well as some of the Bose systems in the Pontiacs.
Also, to put in an aftermarket radio in certain year chevy's (this being one of those years) it requires a radio relocation kit. Its a harness that lets you relocate the factory radio to the trunk so it can perform its functions other than Audio while the new HU takes over the tunes in the dash.

2000 SVT Black/Tan #1633/2150 (a few mods) Alpine: CDA-9835, MRV-F540, MRD-M550 PG: TANTRUM-X 6.5 COMP all around. Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas. CEL currently: Off
B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
i tried to hook up the high low converter at the factory amp location found what colors were the speaker wires were.

Then we also tried hooking it up right before the speaker using the two wires that were there. There is two wires coming out of the speaker.

he doesn't want to go through all the trouble to relocate the factory HU since he will only have the car for till we graduate from college.

B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Finally got it to work.

Weird thing is that we had the amp turn on hooked up to a 6 volt source (yes I know it should be 12v). The six volt was an easy tap just to see if it would turn the amp on. It turned the amp on cooling fan and led lights, so we assumed it was on. We finally set up a jumper switched line from the battery, and then it worked so we know it was the amp turn on.

I just don�t understand when the amp would appear to power up but not actually be on.

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard