Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I just got my a$$ kicked by my Contour. I've been working on a rear subframe/BAT swaybar/rear drum-to-disc conversion. The rear rotors that I bought don't fit on the hubs!! WTF?!? I thought that all rear discs were the same? I checked BAT and they only have one part number for ALL rear discs.

I have a '96 GL with stock rear drums with ABS. I'm doing the swap using '98 E0 SVT parts. I don't have a set of calipers that open up wide enough, but I'd guess that the hub is a good 1/8 to 3/16" larger than the inner diameter of the rotor.

I apologize if this has been covered before but I'm too friggin' tired to search.

Thanks,
BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
now your making me 2nd guess it, but 99.9% sure the rears are all the same. svt has larger fronts vs the reg size. 278 vs 260 (iirc). dont recall the rear size

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The only difference between the SVT rear discs and the non SVT rear discs is that from the factory the SVT had a Dacromat finish. They are otherwise exactly alike and completely interchangable.

If what you got doesn't fit, it isn't the right rotor and won't fit a non SVT either.

Oops, I just read this a bit closer. You're doing a drum to disc conversion. I don't know if the center hub is the same on a drum brake car. You may need hubs from the donor car too.

Last edited by Big Jim; 06/20/06 04:45 AM.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Also just finished up my drum/disc conversion on Saturday... Perhaps the rotors you have are meant for the front? The rear rotors have a larger diameter hat.

I have a couple of spare rotors kicking around here... The inside diameter of the hat on the rears is roughly 6-1/4" vs. 5-9/16" on the fronts.

From what I understand the rear hubs are the same across all cars, regardless of discs vs. drums or otherwise, so it definitely sounds like you have the wrong rotors.

Tom 98 LX (Zetec/ATX)
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Crapola. Maybe they did send me fronts instead of rears.

Either way, I'm going to order some rears from NAPA tomorrow.

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I ordered a BAT brake kit for a 95 Contour that I never used. In May I installed it on my daughters 97 Mystique - the parts bolted up OK, but the front brake pads were just touching the outer diameter of the rotor hat - caused real problems on the (short) test drive (smoke and squealing).

I replaced the rotors with a set I bought from Autozone and no problems. The outer diameter of the Autozone rotor hats was visibly much smaller than the BAT rotors.

IMHO I would be cautious now about buying those cheap BAT brake kits as it seems BAT sold me the wrong front rotors ââ?¬â?? the kind of mistake that really shouldnââ?¬â?¢t happen with a specialty vendor like that.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Yeah, I'm really starting to wonder as well. I think that they were BAT's "econo rotors." I hope that the pads fit. I should have tested those too. Doh!

BP

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
FYI.. The front rotors on my SVT will not fit on the rear without turning down the hub a few thou (well on my vehicle at least). I had to machine my hubs to make the fronts fit on the rear.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
The hubs on drum cars are differant than disc cars according to ford parts list.

2000 Silver SVT
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by cowgod:
Also just finished up my drum/disc conversion on Saturday...

so did I, isnt it great!

yes... I am a cougar owner trolling on your board.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard