Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1592906 06/18/06 08:07 PM
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
I have 96 GL just had new engine replaced on it.
The mechanic told me that i would have to refill my whole A/C system bc when he was swapping the engines he drained whole A/C system.
Is there a special way to refill whole system?
I went and bought one 14OZ 134A can of A/c Fluid.
filled the LOW PRESSURE hose and it took about half a can and started to push fluid back bc of the pressure.
My A/C is not blowing any cold air still even tho there is little fluid in the system from that half a can.
Can someone help me with this problem or explain how to fill the A/C syter properly. thanks a bunch

1996 GL 2.0 16V Zetec DOHC AIM s/n- DJWhiterussian
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
you need a shop to do it ...

not sure how it is done really but I believe you have to evacuate the system and then fill it.

when mine was empty and the a/c was cycling fast or just not turning on it took two cans by the low pressure port, just turn the can upside down and it will take all of it easily, otherwise just open the valve and let it sit for awhile and it will take what it wants too

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I think you have to make sure you keep the can upside down when filling. Other wise the propellant goes in but little or no refergerent. I wasted 2 cans one time before I figured out what I was skipping. After that it worked.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
did you guys used up 2 cans of 14OZ bottles?
shouldnt it at least make some difference if i only pour one can? the directions on the back said to hold the can upright so thats how i was filling up.

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Unless you have a really bad leak, or your on the high side, what does the gauge read? You can close the valve on the tap, and just hook it up with no can and get a pressure reading. But if the valve is open, with no can, your going to let it out of the system, so make sure it's closed, the tap/fill valve that is. The A/C has to be on also, while checking or filling.

My gauge that came with the kit has psi to outside temp. Say at 75degree the system should be at about 35-40psi on the low side.

I don't see why they say to hold the can upright, refrigerant is heavy, and usally will sit in the bottom of the can. What brand 134a charge you using?

I might be charging one of the tours today because it's getting weak. If I do it, I'll snap a little video.

BTW it can take up to 3cans depending, in your case the system being empty maybe 4 or there is a bad leak, and the A/C and car has to be running.

Last edited by jd2-98s; 06/19/06 02:36 PM.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
I would like to see the vid if possible. My AC takes forever to get cold, I think its just low on refrigerant.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Capacity of R134 is 26oz of refrigerant, check under the hood on a sticker there. That's about 2 cans.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Wow!

System should be evacuated first. This removes moisture which will 1) cause corrosion in the system and 2) greatly reduce system efficiency.

Make damned certain you're hooking your death kit up to the LOW side port, not the high side port. Only a well-trained person with the correct equipment should do high-side port service filling.

The system should be charged with the can upright, not turned upside down. If you don't know why, you have no business screwing with an AC system.

System capacity is listed either on an underhood label or in the service manual. Do not exceed this amount. If you overcharge the system, it will work just as badly as if it is undercharged, if at all.

Get a manifold guage set so you can monitor both sides of the system. Then, you'll know what's actually going on.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I don't know, I went outside, hooked it up. Open valve, gauge would come up. Close valve and it would drop back down to 20psi.

So I openned the valve again. Turned the can upside down. It came up to 32-35psi, closed the valve and it stayed at 33psi...

134a is heavy, and there is stopleak and oil in there, all it states on the can is to add as a gas hold upright..

I have video... But don't want to show it if it's incorrect. But almost wasted the can until I turned it upside down...

Z
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
Z
hey show us a video even if some things are wrong in it. still we can learn some things form it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard