Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I went out and bought a set of Pioneer 6x9s (even advertised as shallow-basket) today; I was going to get the 6x8s that WalMart carries, but since the only set of those they had was in an open box, I decided to go up to the 6x9s and research the forum before I even broke the seal on the box. I read, and read, and read, and figured it wouldn't be too bad.

You have to be joking. There's no way 6x9s can fit in those door openings. I measured, I eyeballed, I even drilled a hole or two, and I couldn't come up with any orientation or positioning that even looked reasonably close to right. I also tried on the rear door, and while it was closer, it sure seemed kludgy to me. Incidentally, I also found out that the wiring to my rear left door wasn't passing any signal through anyway, so I just pulled both rear speakers and faded my HU all the way forward. I'm still going to replace my fronts, but right now I've got a set of 6x9s that I need to try to return to WallyWorld, chopped-up box and everything.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I fit 6x9s (Pioneers) up front with no problem. Don't expect them to fit flush with the door panel. They stick out a good deal. But there is enough space behind the plastic door panel to fit them.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
how big is the border around your actual speaker? that might have something to do with it...just a thought

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
you are supposed to use the mounting bracket BEHIND the speaker, not in front of it like usual. That way you get the depth you need for the window. It shouldn't be that though.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Well, that was one problem...no bracket, or rather, the grill and grill bracket were one piece. But even then, I was under the impression that one or two of the stock mounting points would work with the 6x9s, but I was looking at the prospect of drilling all new holes for them.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Just make a wood mounting bracket that you can screw to the door using the holes that are already there. Then mount the 6 x 9 to the piece of wood.
That�s how I got 6.5 in circles in the front doors.

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I have installed 6x9s in the front and back of 3 Contiques with no sweat. Awesome sound,but not a perfect fit. The speaker will stick out a little bit,and only mount with 2 or 3 screws after drilling some holes,but the door panel will fit no problem.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Ah, well, it's a moot point now. I sent them back to WallyWorld and got the special-fit 6x8s from Crutchfield. Cost more money, sure, but the more I deal with Crutchfield, the happier I am.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
You can get 6x9s in,it just isn't pretty.

I had a front and rear set of 6x9 4-way 280w Kenwoods in my Mystique. Man did that ever sound awesome. 6x8s are good anyways,they're just generally harder to find,since 6x9s are much more common. Currently in my car I have Pioneer 6x8s in the front (from Wal mart w00t) and Pioneer 6x9s in the back.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
5*7's are more common and fit well.

2000 T-red SVT #1049 of 2150

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard