Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Berkel:
Originally posted by Mustang:
Struts won't cause sag but springs will.

Really? I've always heard it was my struts that were causing the sagging on my tour and my springs are barely a few years old.

Struts are pressurized but not enough to raise the ride height all that much. Springs hold the car up or maybe I got it backwards Gravity sucks.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by Berkel:
Struts won't cause sag but springs will.

Really? I've always heard it was my struts that were causing the sagging on my tour and my springs are barely a few years old.

Struts are pressurized but not enough to raise the ride height all that much. Springs hold the car up or maybe I got it backwards Gravity sucks.

i that that sounds right. if the car is sagging just parked, the springs may be shot. if the struts r shot, you'll notice on dips. u can push down on the car and see if it pops up quickly instead of taking a long time to rebound. if the springs r shot, the struts might've worn out too as a result

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
The car sags while park, but come to think of it the back end does take a little longer to go up then thr front when you push down on it, not much but a little. I think its still the springs and really hope the struts are ok cuase thats more money then I want to pay right now. I have searched quite a bit and I'm still in the dark on a few things-can I get just SVT springs and put them on the car, or do I have to change the struts, sway bars etc? And If that is a no, I can put SE springs on there, right? After going to the team ford website, I think they are the cheapest and will probally go with them. Does Bill J give us an additional discount in addition to the one the website gives us?

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
to run post98 springs on a pre98 you have to use post98 struts, doesnt matter if its se or svt. and i'd guess vice versa. if the back end takes a while to come up, sounds like the struts r going out. if the springs were shot, the struts likely blew out as a result.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I know this was dead a while ago but I have just one more question-I am going to put SE springs on there, but is it worth it to swap out the struts and springs with SVT? Is the performance difference that much? Because I'm a poor college kid I want to put off buying new struts as long as I can, but I also want to up grade when I replace things on this car, especially since it handles pretty good. Also, would it matter that I'm putting more performance-oriented suspension in the back and leaving the front alone?

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The 95 SE struts and springs are stiffer than the SVT struts and springs. No, there is no advantage in moving to the SVT suspension parts. Actually I wuld like to have a set of rear SE springs on my SVT. I could use a little stiffer rear suspension.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Allright, thanks Jim. I'm gonna order the springs today and hopefully get them in before I head back to MN. Thanks to everybody else for your help too, now I'll finally get rid of that stupid sag and have a safer car when I have to slam the brakes again.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Allright guys, last question i promise then I'll quit asking questions. Talked to my dad last night and he strongly recommended me replacing the struts with the springs becuase of the mileage (53000) and age too. It makes sense I guess to me even though I really don't want to spend the extra money, its probally better now when I have it apart vs. taking it apart later. My question is should I go ahead and replace the strut with the springs too? If so, do I need anything else besides the strut like the strut mount or anything like that? thanks for all the help and I'll leave ya guys alone after this! (unless I have some serious installation probs)

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
On the fronts, it is a good idea to replace the strut bearings (helps the struts turn with the steering wheel). They are not that expensive, and will make you pull the strut again if they ever get noisy. The bushings probably should be replaced as well. If you need to install the front camber kits, now is the time for this as well since they go on top of the front struts. The camber kits include the front bushings.

Inspect the bushings and ball joints in the front lower "A" arms. If the bushings are collapsed or if the ball joints are loose, this is a good time for them too, although you don't have to pull the struts down to change the "A" arms, you will have part of it loose to remove the struts.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Ok, how bout the back? I have the order ready and jsut have to click submit, but I want to do this right and not leave anything out. There is minimul to no rust on any suspension components, but the boots are long gone. do these come with the strut or do I but those too?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard