Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Don't know what to use? Here are the pros and cons of carnaubas and synthetics to help you choose.

Added to FAQ: Detailing

=Carnauba=

- Pros -
- Color and depth -
The general opinion of detailing "aficianados" is that carnaubas provide more color and depth - a "liquid" appearance to the paint. Carnauba enhances the color of the paint - blacks look blacker, reds look more red. Generally recommended for darker-colored cars.
- "Hides" surface blemishes -
Because carnaubas give a wetter look, they are able to reduce the appearance of swirls and scratches. Example: Look at the surface of your car freshly washed and dried. You can see scratches and swirls fairly easily. Now run the hose on the paint. The scratches ans swirls are harder to see. That's what carnauba is good at - hiding/muting minor scratches and swirls.

- Cons -
- Environmental compliance -
Carnaubas are not environmentally friendly. Due to "recent" U.S. EPA regulations and potentially more in the future, carnuabas are becoming a product of the past due to Volatile Organic Compounds. Some carnaubas have been outright discontinued while most others have had to change their formulas.
- Low durability -
1-2 months maximum for a non-garaged daily-driver. <See below for further details>
- Low melting point -
Carnauba has melting points of 130-180 degrees F. The surface of a car in 85 degree sunlight can reach 200 degrees.
- Low "strength" -
Carnauaba is soft and evaporates making it less resistant to the environment. Every time the vehicle is washed, experiences a hard rain, heavy winds, carnauba is removed.
- No repellency -
Carnauba attracts and holds dust and other particles
- Contain petroleums and oils -
A car with carnauba that is touched may feel oily and leave a greasey streak on the surface. (Synthetics promote/advertise their products with "no oils".)
- Reduced clarity -
Carnauba reduces the optical clarity of the paint and the reflection is "clouded" vs synthetics.
- Cannot be layered -
Tests by detailers have proven that layering carnauba beyond 3-4 coats is a waste of time and money due to diminishing returns. Because carnauaba is soft each coat you apply in effect removes part of the previous coat you applied.
- Application -
Carnaubas cannot be applied in direct sunlight and must be applied in certain temperatures.
- Dusting -
Carnaubas are commonly known to dust when buffed out.

=Synthetics/Polymers=

- Pros -
- Durability -
6 months or longer is not unheard of for a properly applied quality synthetic.
- Repellency -
Unlike carnaubas, synthetics have been scientifically designed for maximum repellency. Synthetics repel dust and other particles.
- High melting point -
350+ degrees F.
- Layering -
Synthetics are designed to be layered. Each layer stacks to provide more protection for your paint.
- Application -
Some synthetics can be applied in direct sunlight and have a greater temperature range in which it can be applied.
- Slickness -
Synthetics provide a slickness that carnauba cannot.
- Application & removal -
Easier to apply and remove than carnauba with virtually no dust.
- Shine / Clarity / "Pop" -
Synthetics are pure and offer greater shine than carnaubas. It sits on top of the paint, allowing the true color and flakes to show.

- Cons -
- Depth/color -
Whereas carnaubas enhance the color of the paint, synthetics do not.
- Shine / Clarity -
Because synthetics enhance the true color and surface of the paint, it does emphasize scratches and swirls making them stand out.

The information above has been compiled from various sites.

If you would have something to add, comment, question, etc.
****please click here to reply to this thread
.***

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
- My opinions -
Having tried and tested products from the following companies:
3M, Clearkote, Dupont, Eagle One, Four Star, Klasse, Meguiar's, Meguiar's NXT, Menzerna, Mother's, Optimum, Poor Boy's, P21S, Turtle Wax, Wolfgang, Zaino, Zymol, and others I cannot justify using a carnauba over a synthetic - especially on a non-garaged daily-driver.

- Testing -
I have tested carnauba and synthetic side-by-side on the hoods/roofs of various vehicles (05 GTO, 05 Corolla, 00 CSVT, 97 Explorer) and found the following:
- Carnauba side lasted about 4-6 weeks
- Synthetic side lasted 4-6 months
- Carnuaba side felt oily/greasey when touched by hand
- Synthetic side felt slick and smooth
- Carnauba side left streaks on the surface when touched
- Synthetic side left no streaks on the surface when touched
- Carnauba side attracted dust and particles
- Synthetic side did not attract dust and particles

- Beliefs -
As far as color/depth/shine, I always read carnauba provided better depth and color and synthetics offered better shine. I thought I was doing something wrong or something was wrong with my eyes because I couldn't tell the difference between the two sides. Both sides were shiney and the color difference was negligible. I even had family and friends look at both sides on all the various vehicles and none could say one side had better color than the other. Some did say that they synthetic side appeared more "sparkley". That started reinforcing my belief that carnauba offering better color is a popular belief more than anything.

- Spring Zing 2006 -
I thought for sure that CEGers would vote the carnauba side as better on a black CSVT. I thought Roger, being the carnauba man, would outdo the synthetic I was using. Upon completion, I couldn't tell any color difference between the two sides. But, the synthetic side was clearer than the carnauba side. Surprise, synthetic beats carnauba - even on a dark colored car. SZ 06 has reinforced my belief that carnauba is not better on a dark colored car.

- Conclusion -
I don't get garage queen or fresh paint customers. All of my customers are daily drivers that haven't been washed in months and waxed in years. I would not put a carnauba that's going to last a month on their car - no way.

After all my testing over the years and personal experiences I'm using nothing but synthetics. As they say, the proof is in the pudding.

HTH

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Also, it seems that synthetic applies easier and smoother, as well as more uniformly, than carnauba. After buffing out carnauba, you can see some areas that didn't quite get covered. My experience with NXT is that it applies and acts a lot like a polish, which is probably the easiest step in detailing.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
cost of synthetic?

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
I used to have Mothers Caranuba, I hated how hard it was to buff out, then it just left dust all over the car. I recent;y used the turtlewax ICE synthetic (bought it a couple of months ago) and I love this stuff. I can apply it on the black panels and anywhere else on the car I want to. also, unlike the caranuba, it leaves a glass like finish every time I use it. I am one of those weirdos that has to wax the car every 2 weeks though and sometimes more frequently. 1 weeks at the least amount of time. I usually strip it before I wax it just so it doesn't hurt the paint.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
That explains why my car is suddenly covered in swirl marks.

What would happen if the carnuba was stacked on synthetic? Is it even possible? Would you want to do it for any reason?

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
That explains why my car is suddenly covered in swirl marks.

What would happen if the carnuba was stacked on synthetic? Is it even possible? Would you want to do it for any reason?

Carnauba can be stacked on synthetic. it adds an extra layer of depth that the synthetic cant achieve.

I recently waxed my car with a full cleaning (wash and clay bar), Klasse All in One, 3 coats of Klasse Sealer Glaze, and on top of that, a coat of Pinnacle Signature Series which is a pure carnauba. It looked great, and even though pictures cant come close to showing what i'm talking about, you can find my finished results here

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by ExDelayed:

I did this right before I took it to a show. Autopia said this was a good way to get extra shine for shows. The only difference this achives is in the sunlight. And it isn't much. But it does make the paint look great!

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I have used and compared both P21S (carnauba) and RejeX (synthetic) on both mine and my wife's cars. In my experience the RejeX produced and equal gloss and lasted MUCH LONGER AND COST A LOT LESS MONEY!!
Both cars were washed, clay bared, KlasicAIO'ed and then waxed. I had been using RejeX for some time and was talked into using the P21S which did not last 3 months and have gone back to RejeX every 6 months whether the cars need it or not.

RejeX is the best I have ever used in my 50+ years of car care!!

Col. Bill Evans CAF (ret) 98 Contour GL Zetec ATX (totally stock) Color-Willow Mist 104,XXX Miles
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
so what people think about using car wash soap with carnauba add in ?

1998.5 Toreador Red/Midnight Blue Contour SVT - #5912/6535 - DOB - 05/11/1998 - RU-3530/CTA Intake Pipe MSDS Heaser/Y-Pipe Magnaflow #10435 9mm Ford racing SPEC Stage one/Spec Alum. Flywheel HERE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard