Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Waiting to hear back from the insurance company ...

Check out the pics .

Not my CSVT , but mom's Mystique . She's OK , by the way . I'm going on 2nd-hand info , but it's pretty straightforward (to me , at least ) . It happened �½-block from her house this morning , one car accident , coming out of her alley . It's kind-of a screwy intersection . A stop sign where you cross another sidestreet & make a "jog" to the left to continue on her alley . Usually there are cars parked right up to her alley intersection (another bad idea never remedied) , so you can't mess around pulling out (no real visual until you're into the intersection) , plus 90% of the people coming down the road you're crossing are doing WELL over the limit of 25 mph . She pulled out in the usual way , but must've misjudged or something & hit a telephone pole that site just off the intersection with the passenger-side of her front bumper . Must have hit it just right (or wrong) , and it set off both airbags . We've gone out of that intersection a million times , as she's lived there over 35 years . There's no way she was going more than 10-15 mph in her 4-cyl , ATX mystique , plus she wasn't in any rush or anything (like late for work , etc.) . Just a bumer of a hit .
I went over & took the pics after work tonight . The quick list that I whipped up is (of course) the airbags (which busted her windshield ) , the P.S. headlight got busted-up , the rad support got bent a bit where the headlight pushed into it , the P.S. fender got pushed back towards the door & bulged-out a bit (not really boogered-up at all) , the hood has a small dent along the front edge , the grille got a bit cracked at the rear mount on the one side and the front bumper got a bit scuffed .
She's REALLY bummed about it , as she loves her Mystique . I figure it's probably a gonner , with the airbags blown & all . I guess we'll see what her insurance company comes up with .
Like I said , she's doing fine - just a bit sore from the seat belt grabbing , although in a sad mood for her Mystie . I guess I'll most likely be looking for another for her in the immediate future .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:
The quick list that I whipped up is (of course) the airbags (which busted her windshield )

Bummer man! I've always thought this to be a poor dash design. The windshield is toast if the pass. bag deploys, never mind that a lot of the accidents wouldn't have broken the windshield if not for the 'bag.

Glad you're mom is OK!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Glad she is o.k.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Dang, Allen. First off, I'm glad she's OK. Hope they don't total it, but who knows? We have an intersection like that by my house, 3-4 wrecks per week, no one does anything about it. Sux. Hope your Mom feels better.

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
The quick list that I whipped up is (of course) the airbags (which busted her windshield )

Bummer man! I've always thought this to be a poor dash design. The windshield is toast if the pass. bag deploys, never mind that a lot of the accidents wouldn't have broken the windshield if not for the 'bag.

Glad you're mom is OK!

Glad to hear you're mom is doing well and hope she gets her car fixed up!!

Many cars are designed this way and it only for your safety, granted in this case the airbags most likely did not need to deploy, but my guess is that this car had gen 1 air bags. If this car had the newer gen 2 airbags then they most likely would not have deployed.

~EDIT~ I think this car did have the gen 2 I think they put it on 98 and new vehicles, from the looks of the damage I don�t understand why the air bags deployed.

Last edited by BlackE1; 06/16/06 11:34 AM.

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Yea , it sucks that the airbags went off . Without that , I think it'd be a fairly easy fix . Her car is a '98 Mystie , so yes , should be Gen.2 airbags . I'm just visualizing how fast you could possibly get up to pulling out of that intersection to where she hit the pole , driving a zetec (ATX) Contique - it's not exactly a rocketship , ya know . The road she was crossing was just wide enough for 2 cars to pass going opposite directions , and the pole was maybe a couple feet off the corner . She must've just spaced out for a second & misjudged . She did say that the airbags scared the heck outta her - then there was her horn blowing & blowing till the tow guy got there . She also said that the car was still running & whatnot after the crash (she turned it off) . I think I might have yanked the horn wire & driven it to the body shop or whatever & saved the tow , but I guess that's what AAA is for .

I was gonna bring her car to the Carlisle show on sunday instead of my SVT - now I wish I would have . May have been the last time to show 'er off (in good shape , that is) .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
I'm so glad that your Mom is OK!

Bummer about the car.

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by BlackE1:

Glad you're mom is OK!

Glad to hear you're mom is doing well and hope she gets her car fixed up!!

Many cars are designed this way and it only for your safety, granted in this case the airbags most likely did not need to deploy, but my guess is that this car had gen 1 air bags. If this car had the newer gen 2 airbags then they most likely would not have deployed.

~EDIT~ I think this car did have the gen 2 I think they put it on 98 and new vehicles, from the looks of the damage I don�t understand why the air bags deployed.

I meant that the cover door is a poor design, not the sensitivity of the sensors. If it split open in the middle, so there was a top flap and a bottom flap, then the top might clear the windshield when it blows open, instead of the entire flap swinging up and smacking it. My parts car has the exact same crack pattern from it's airbag deployment.

Eh, moot point anyway. Just something I wish the interior designers had thought about.

I hope the car's repairable! I'd hate to see another contique take a permanent dirt nap.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
If it split open in the middle, so there was a top flap and a bottom flap, then the top might clear the windshield when it blows open, instead of the entire flap swinging up and smacking it.

My guess is that they did look into using a split cover design on the passenger side air bag. But for an aesthetics stand point it would add a straight line in the middle of the nice and cleanly contoured dash. I feel this would look out of place.
The fact is the air bag is there to save our lives in a bad accident (this case is different). For the one time my passenger air bag might go off resulting in a broken windshield, I would rather not have a straight line on the dash that will be an eyesore everyday.

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
my car!!! oh no!

seriously, that is a bummer about what happened. glad your mom is ok and hope they dont total the car!

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard