Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
using air tools how long do you think to install ground control s and new struts. How long for just the fronts?

i need to know a time frame to see if i can get in done in the garage in between my dad puttin hooker headers and a dual 3" SS flowmaster exhaust on his 69camaro and him fixing the door on 10 second streetable 67 camaro..

you can see how i dont get first priority with the SVT

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Capable of being done in an afternoon. Once you do one side, it makes the other a breeze. Learning curve.

Have a GOOD (pair of)spring compressor at the ready.

Bob

98 SVT Contour (BAT strut/springs, B&M Shifter) 03 Harley Davidson F150 (modded)
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Not long if you have air tools and work on cars much. My first time with hand tools took a full day. Pulling them off and putting them back on took a couple hours. Most of your time will be spent trying to get the struts in and out of the knuckles. GCs make installation much easier because they don't need to be assembled with a compressor, so that will help.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
so do i have everything i need? i have the following
~struts
~ground controls
~camber correction kit(with upgraded plates)

do i need?
~strut mount?
~axle nut? (they say they are only good for like 3 times.. ive taken mine on and off more than that for sure)

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Stylin55_oh:
~struts
~ground controls

do i need?
~strut mount?
~axle nut? (they say they are only good for like 3 times.. ive taken mine on and off more than that for sure)

fyi axle nuts are a one time use item, think about it they get torques to 210 ft/lbs, and you don't need to pull the axle out of the hub to change the struts unless you fear hyperextending the c/v joint when moving the hub around

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
~struts
~ground controls

do i need?
~strut mount?

You need the upgraded top hat bearings too - don't forget the bearings.... do a search on "top hat bearings" you will find them

EGPLNT:MY 95' SE MTX SVT *200,000 MILE CLUB* 6/06/06 - 201,000 MILES
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by blu_fuz:
~struts
~ground controls

do i need?
~strut mount?

You need the upgraded top hat bearings too - don't forget the bearings.... do a search on "top hat bearings" you will find them

Just curious, whats a top hat bearing? is that the same as the "strut bearing" or the "strut mount"?

In this pic the strut bearing is in front (in a few pieces), the strut mount is under the LCA.

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
search the faq. the strut bearings and washers partnumbers r listed there

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
I have gotten the ground controls off of the old struts (much more difficult than expected) but i have some more questions before i decide to tackle this install later in the week.

~i still dont understand these bearings i ordered. where do they go? why do i only have two?

~I believe i have 4 95-97 front struts.. they are gabriel G55692.. They look like the first pic posted in the link
X's koni modding for GCs
need advice there. can these even be used??

~i didnt receive an adjustment tool, anyone know how i could get one easily??

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
The bearings are for between the top of the front struts and the strut hats. You only have two because the rears don't need to rotate.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard