Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by smoothlinez:
Wow, things really have changed a LOT. We had an AER built Noble engine sent to us last month and it came with new exhaust manifold bolts, etc but no manifold. The manifold and custom bracket/mounts, modified PS pump were from 1G. I am sure its a custom manifold and AER just does the oem type of stuff. Let us know when you get your engine. That will open many doors and opportunities for you contour guys.

I'll post a lot of pictures of the engine when it arrives. I think this is something many CEGers will be interested in - especially when you consider what it would take to duplicate this engine.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by JEDsContour:
Originally posted by smoothlinez:
The engine is complete ready to go,but youll need the manifold, etc. from 1G. GL with your project

Comes with manifold... Or so Dave Walker said.

Mine did not. My manifolds came from Snakebite Performance. Perhaps they now come with the standard Escape ones.

J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by gotapex:
Mine did not. My manifolds came from Snakebite Performance. Perhaps they now come with the standard Escape ones.

Or I simply misunderstood him.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Jesus - $4300 just for a longblock!?!?

I'd rather buy a fully built 350 for that money!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Stazi:
Jesus - $4300 just for a longblock!?!?

I'd rather buy a fully built 350 for that money!

Won't fit

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
True, but dropping $4300 on a Duratech motor is insane IMO. I don't see the need for a motor that "beefy" in a Contour. You aren't going to run 600hp in a Contour, nor would you want to.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
True, but dropping $4300 on a Duratech motor is insane IMO. I don't see the need for a motor that "beefy" in a Contour. You aren't going to run 600hp in a Contour, nor would you want to.

I do respect your opinion on this. However, in my case itââ?¬â?¢s a hobby car and cost is not the biggest issue. By the time Iââ?¬â?¢m done Iââ?¬â?¢ll have spent near $30K on this seven year old four door carââ?¬â?? and where the hell is the sense in that? It only makes sense from the perspective of entertainment. I could have spent it on a classic Mustang or such ââ?¬â?? but Iââ?¬â?¢ve already done that too many times. I think my next hobby car (a few years down the road) may be a GT40 kit car or maybe a Noble.

Anyway, I question whether anyone at even twice that price could (practically) put together a better 3L for turbocharging than what AER offers. I'm considering the upgraded internals, ST220 cams, machining for oil squirters, additional quality control steps and such, and the fact that it�s a complete drop-in engine (I hope!); I think $4300 shipped to my door is a bargain. Only mass production allows this.

I�ll post a bunch of pictures of it sometime next week and a detailed list of all the improvements and new parts AER used.

Time is honestly the most difficult thing for me to find. With this new crate engine, specifically designed for turbo charging, I have good confidence I won�t be dealing with internal problems or machining errors and such. I only want to install it one time. I expect this entire combination will be routinely capable of putting out over 400 FWHP without big risk of damage.

Will I actually push the engine that hard? Not on the street (that�s for damn sure!). I can see getting involved in autocross and such down the line though.

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H

I do respect your opinion on this. However, in my case itââ?¬â?¢s a hobby car and cost is not the biggest issue. By the time Iââ?¬â?¢m done Iââ?¬â?¢ll have spent near $30K on this seven year old four door carââ?¬â?? and where the hell is the sense in that? It only makes sense from the perspective of entertainment. I could have spent it on a classic Mustang or such ââ?¬â?? but Iââ?¬â?¢ve already done that too many times. I think my next hobby car (a few years down the road) may be a GT40 kit car or maybe a Noble.

Anyway, I question whether anyone at even twice that price could (practically) put together a better 3L for turbocharging than what AER offers. I'm considering the upgraded internals, ST220 cams, machining for oil squirters, additional quality control steps and such, and the fact that it�s a complete drop-in engine (I hope!); I think $4300 shipped to my door is a bargain. Only mass production allows this.

I�ll post a bunch of pictures of it sometime next week and a detailed list of all the improvements and new parts AER used.

Time is honestly the most difficult thing for me to find. With this new crate engine, specifically designed for turbo charging, I have good confidence I won�t be dealing with internal problems or machining errors and such. I only want to install it one time. I expect this entire combination will be routinely capable of putting out over 400 FWHP without big risk of damage.

Will I actually push the engine that hard? Not on the street (that�s for damn sure!). I can see getting involved in autocross and such down the line though.

Good luck with your csvt project. It will be a gorgous car after your done with it.

Quick question. Are u doing anything to the outside for exterior mods. Or is it going to be a sleeper.?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Rickson:
Quick question. Are u doing anything to the outside for exterior mods. Or is it going to be a sleeper.?

As close to stock looking as I can keep it. Lowered with six spoke FSVT wheels and Wilwood brake kit. I have another near identical car, "nice twin," that I am keeping completely stock. It'll be fun to take the pair to car shows and park them side by side with raised hoods.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W

I CAN. I could do it for half that price for myself.

I expect this entire combination will be routinely capable of putting out over 400 FWHP without big risk of damage.

Actually, I can make a stock block duratec engine do this....

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard