Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
2000 Mystique Zetec ATX

Lately I've been experiencing some intermittent sputtering and power loss during normal driving. It feels sort of like I'm running out of gas, but it never actually stalls. Also, during hard acceleration the car will not rev past 3000 rpms no matter how much throttle I give it. Now, I'm not expecting a zetec to be fast, but I know this is not how it used to be. I get the feeling that its some kind of fuel delivery problem, like either the fuel pump is on its way out or the computer just isnt giving it a rich enough mixture. There is no check engine light, but I'm suspecting either a dying fuel pump or maybe a bad throttle position sensor. MAF was recently cleaned, the car is tuned up and in otherwise perfect condition, it idles perfect, no roughness or anything like that. Tomorrow after work I think I'll try testing the TPS resistance. Other than that, any ideas on what to look at?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
No CEL codes would lead me to think bad fuel filter or fuel pump (might be able to save it by removing the fuel pump filter screen inside the gas tank).

Originally posted by Big Jim:
One of the common problems with a late 99 as well as all 00 V6 Contours is a plugged fuel pump filter screen. This usually causes a drastic loss of power somewhat intermittantly, usually when the fuel tank is low, usually under about 1/3 tank. It runs fine until the fuel demand (acceleration, high revs, etc)is high, then it falls on it's face.

If that is the problem, then the cure is to remove the filter screen. It is too fine and too small. Besides, it isn't needed. There is a conventional sock screen in front of the pump inside the pump module.

To see what I'm talking about, go to the FAQ section and find the how to for changing the fuel pump. Look at the very last photo on the page and you will see the screen.

You can more closely pin down the diagnosis by driving the car with a fuel pressure test gauge hooked up and observing that the fuel pressure drops off dramatically when it is acting up.

Last picture in the how to.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=662291&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Last edited by Tony2005; 06/12/06 03:18 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Fuel filter was changed in the last few months, so that's not it. If I hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the rail and rev the engine, what sort of pressure drop would be normal? I'd assume that if mine drops below what is normal, I can be fairly sure its the fuel pump or pressure regulator. Sound about right?

M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Update:

Fixed it, I think. I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he said that before I mess with the fuel pump, I should check the relay. I switched relays R1 and R6 (fuel pump and horn) and tested it. All seems well now. I'm not positive yet, but I was able to get the engine all the way up to redline.

Just FYI, the fuel pump relay is connected to the crank position sensor. When the sensor indicates that the crankshaft is revolving, the relay sends power to the pump. When the relay gets worn out, it can cut power to the pump randomly.

I'll post again in a few days when I'm certain this was it.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by mcgarvey:
Update:

Fixed it, I think. I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he said that before I mess with the fuel pump, I should check the relay. I switched relays R1 and R6 (fuel pump and horn) and tested it. All seems well now. I'm not positive yet, but I was able to get the engine all the way up to redline.

Just FYI, the fuel pump relay is connected to the crank position sensor. When the sensor indicates that the crankshaft is revolving, the relay sends power to the pump. When the relay gets worn out, it can cut power to the pump randomly.

I'll post again in a few days when I'm certain this was it.

Don't hold your breath on this "cure". If that fixed it, that would be one that hasn't been posted here before. Maybe your mechanic friend knows something we don't, but i doubt it.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I'm hoping for the best, we'll see what happens. I'll post an update either way.

Just curious, is there any way to test fuel pressure with the engine under load?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Yes, It is done by driving the car with a fuel pressure test gauge installed. When I do this, I take the gauge to the lower part of the windshield. This is a common diagnostic technique.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I spoke too soon. Doing about 50mph it happened again, lost power, but didnt stall. After 20 seconds or so it was back to normal. I'm gonna check some sensors just for te hell of it, but it's gotta be the fuel pump.

Where did you say I could get that Focus SVT pump for $80?

M
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Also, will that fit a 2000? (ie., is it returnless?)

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by mcgarvey:
Also, will that fit a 2000? (ie., is it returnless?)

Yes, FSVT pump is for 99.5-2000 models with returnless fuel pump, I got mine from Bill Jenkins, he's a nice guy, give him a call www.teamfordparts.com

00 Mystique LS V6 ATX 57K miles K&N air filter TH Fix B&M 70268 Atx cooler
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard