Next Thread
Print Thread
R
rwea14 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
So Saturday morning around 6:15 am on rt. 95 around Byfield Ma. I hit a deer in the third lane doing about 70 mph. Now I just had gotten my car back after a week from getting new brake calipers. So I get out and my grill is a mess, my left headlight is broken and my driver side 1/4 is a mess and so is my door. Who would have though a cute little deer could do all of this. Now I am worried because my car is so old and now has 157,000+ miles on it, I am wondering if they will total it. Oh and yeah I am ok and very thankful I had time to turn a bit. I do have a daughter on the way in September......Oh yeah, can you order just the glass part of a mirror unit???

1998.5 Silver Frost SVT #4978 of 6535 160,000 miles and still going..
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Sorry to hear that.

If the airbags are gone its most likely totaled. My cousin had a 98' that ran a red light and the airbags went. It was totaled (had 117K). But mabye not. If the airbags are still in its probably salvageable. Some others will chime in that would probably be able to tell you more on that.

96 Contour GL 2.0, ATX "Herman" 101K "A Clean zetec is happy zetec"
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by rwea14:
........Oh yeah, can you order just the glass part of a mirror unit???

Sorry about the accident.

As for this question, if you are talking about the side mirrors, if you are not concerned about (or do not have) the heated mirror function, you can just go to Autozone or Advance and buy the glass part and stick it on. Sometimes they even have the precut ones that will fit. If not, you will have to cut it to fit. And you don't even have to remove the cracked glass. Just stick on top of it.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
It's not difficult to remove/replace the side mirror glass.

Total time shoud be around 45 minutes per side if you go slow.

Remove the inside triangular trim piece on the inside of the door directly opposite the mirror. This gives you access to the wiring harness and 3 bolts securing the mirror base.

Remove the 3 bolts and disconnect the wiring harness.

The mirror assy should now come free of the door.

On the underside of the mirror housing is two small Torx bit heads. A small Allen wrench will also work. Remove these screws. Depending on which side the mirror is(Passenger/Drivers) there may also be a screw underneath the foam gasket.

The mirror assy is now free from the plastic housing, so slide it out.

You now have easy and better acces to remove the mirror and replace it. Be gentle when you get in here so as not to damage the motors or anything else in here.

And I wish it were that easy for the rest of the car.

Former - 98 CSVT E0 T-Red 4/4/97 #173 of 6535 Dear Santa
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Yikes....glad to hear you are okay. The damage doesnt sound to bad. I have heard deers making a lot more damage than that.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
yeah....dear suck

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard