Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
it's probably going up for sale soon. my goal is to have it running reliably, nothing more.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
L
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
L
I have a couple of questions/suggestions. Why do you have your amps turn on when you turn the key to the on/acc position instead of having it turn on using the remote wire from a head unit? When trying to jump the car, you should try disconnecting the amps (or at least pulling the inline fuses) since you don't want to draw any more current then you have to.

- Chris

'99 Silver Frost SVT #2582: - Fondmetal Wheels with Kuhmo Ecsta 235x45x17 - Ground Control Coilovers with Koni struts (on rear) www.contiqueopedia.com <-- just beginning construction
T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
it is hooked up using the remote wire for the stereo...and they turn on when you turn the key to the on position. That's all i know.

my list of things to do right now are replace the battery, and get the alternator checked. I don't want to risk having problems with the battery far from home, it's not worth it.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by TGO:
i really do think the alternator might be on it's way out, it makes some weird loud whining sounds from time to time...mostly in the wet.

If it only makes sounds when wet do you think that the serpintine belt might be slipping? Do you get the battery light when you hear the sound.

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
no to both questions, but the noise is coming from the alternator. It resonates through the speakers in the car, but i've stuck my head under the hood when it happens and that's where it's coming from.

New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
My alternator started making them noises, then i ended up stranded 2 hours away. Replace it, before you're screwed.

T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
remember the "most annoying sound in the world" that jim carey did in dumb and dumber?? it sounds just like that.

T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Well, i had the car towed to a friends shop and i finally know what the problem is. The alternator is shot. He said it was so rusted, that it just won't turn...so that's what's stopping the starter from turning over the motor. He said he took the belt off and it cranks over fine.

I guess that's how the original battery died. I dunno if it's still good or not, I bought a new yellow top just to be safe. Hopefully this will explain some other weird problems i'd been having (dimming lights, idle issues).

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard