Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I've had a red top for 3 years now that appears to be dead.

Should I replace it with another red top, or should i go for a yellow top.

I have 2 amplifiers making about 1100 watts.

TIA.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
I had a red top in my Contour that was used for 3 years prior and lasted 3 years on my Tour. Had amps and stuff it's whole life.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I dunno what the problem is. I posted in troubleshooting but have gotten no answer yet. But, the battery is definitely drained. I tried to jump the car but it made no difference. The only thing i can think of is when i go to start the car the amps use all the juice. Since it's so drained i don't know if it'd be a good idea to get it going, since it's probably just going to die again.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
A drained battery is not usually the fault of the battery. It is from either A) bad alternator not putting out enough amperage or B) too much use (accidental or intentional) of electrical items with the engine off.

I will tell you this. Whether you get another red top or a yellow top (I have yellow top now, but had red tops in my previous car) make sure the alternator is ok too.

Bob Johann SoundQ SVT 1998 T-Red SVT Contour #3088 2001 IASCA Pro Street 1-600 Champion 2002 SLAP Pro Street 1-600 Champion 2002 MECA SQL Master Class Champion 2003 IASCA StreetX 1-600 Champion 2005 SLAP Expert Street Champion
T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
i really do think the alternator might be on it's way out, it makes some weird loud whining sounds from time to time...mostly in the wet.

However, this thing with the battery happened after the car had been sitting for a couple of weeks. I found it odd though, because i've never ever had a problem like this before, and with the beater the car has been sitting alot.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
i am on my 3rd red top in 3 years.

the first one lasted almost 2 years and then it wouldnt hold a charge.
it would be dead in 3 days.
searched for an electricla problem but never found one.
then the last one decided to swell and spew battery acid all over my engine compartment at SZ.
blah.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
here's what the problem is, you're trying to power accessory items, like amps and subs. red top isn't for that. it's for starting your car. if you need to power those things, buy a YELLOW TOP. it will out last probably 5 red tops that are being powered by stuff. that's why they make yellow top. for your subs and amps and neons and whatever else you want.

2003 Dodge SRT-4 Mods: more than 250 characters worth!
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Rickabod:
here's what the problem is, you're trying to power accessory items, like amps and subs. red top isn't for that. it's for starting your car. if you need to power those things, buy a YELLOW TOP. it will out last probably 5 red tops that are being powered by stuff. that's why they make yellow top. for your subs and amps and neons and whatever else you want.

Agreed, However If You Need Power To Get By On Until You Can Pick Up A Yellow Top, Take That Optima To Any Place That Sells International Batteries And Have Them Put It On Their Trickle Charger For A Day. Those Damn Optimas Take For Ever To Bring Up To Full Charge. I Experienced The Same Problem With One Of Mine Five Years Ago. I Just Gave It Away Thinking It Was No Longer Chargeable. My Buddy Still Has That Thing In His Street/Strip Monte Carlo Today. Never Another Issue. He Just Took It In And Had It Charged By International. (For Some Reason My Home Trickle Charger Wouldn't Charge It. Perhaps Not Enough Amps...) But As Stated Above, Get Into A Yellow Top For All Your Audio Goodness. And Buy A Capacitor Too!!!!!

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
T
TGO Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
T
not a fan of caps, but i'll have to be getting that yellow top soon. I gotta move the car, i don't like having it sit for that long.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Redo your alternator, ground, and engine/chassis grounds with 4 guage or higher.

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 "Tarmac" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2352003
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard