Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello everyone,

I just brought a 95 Ford Contour GL. I noticed that when I turn on the blinkers they were really fast left or right. So, I checked the turn signals to see if any light bulbs where blown out. All the light bulbs work. Tonight, I was out and noticed that when I turn on the lights, my third brake light comes on. When I step on the brake, my third brake light comes on as expected. As soon as I let off the brake, the third brake light stays on. When I turn on the blinker, the third brake light goes out. I figure this is what is causing the fast blinker. Also, I noticed this problem at night because it's hard to see this problem during the day.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? Outside of this problem and the gas needle reading empty when the gas tank is full, this car runs like it's brand new. I'm thinking it's the floaters for the gas tank that causing the needle to read empty when it's only on half a tank. I know it's half a tank when it says empty because I went to the gas station thinking my car was empty of gas and tried to fill it up. It would only take a half a tank of gas.

Thanks,

95tourgirl

B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
The gas gauge problem could be the gauge itself. Probaby the cheapest and easiest fix between the gauge and the float.

Thats where I would look first.

As far as the third brake light...Pop the trunk and disconnect it (a white plug under the back dash) and see if your blinkers still blink fast...If that fixes one problem maybe we can go from there, unless someone else has any ideas...

Steve

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Bk4293:
The gas gauge problem could be the gauge itself. Probaby the cheapest and easiest fix between the gauge and the float.

Thats where I would look first.

As far as the third brake light...Pop the trunk and disconnect it (a white plug under the back dash) and see if your blinkers still blink fast...If that fixes one problem maybe we can go from there, unless someone else has any ideas...

Steve

you wouldnt need to pop the trunk to disable the 3rd brake light, you just need to unplug it from the backseat, there is a little cover over the brake light, push the tabs on either side and pull on the cover, should pop off, then you can just pull the white cable right off of the light assembly.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
OP Offline
Thanks,

I did as both you have said. No luck. The only thing that I noticed was that the one of the license plate light bulbs was blown. I replaced that and still a fast blinker. So, I turn my headlights on while I had the third light facing me and I noticed that it's dim. I thought the that thrid brake light is not supposed to come on until you put your foot on the brake? Anywho, when I put my foot on the brake, the third brake light lights up as supposed to do. Once I take my foot off the brake, it goes dim again. Otherwise, it's always on while my headlights are on. Then, when I turn my blinkers on, the third brake light goes out. I do hope that this is not a major electrical problem because I just got rid of my 95 SHO because I had major electrical problems. After spending $5000 to find the problem, we still couldn't find the problem.

By the way, I'm very interested in the SVT's. Are they the same as SHO. I mean, are the same in terms of expensive to fix?

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Try this. Unplug where the bulb is flashing fast. Not the bulb itself but the plug that attaches the bulb from your trunk. If you look closely inside that plug youll see three tiny metal pinchers that gets in contact with your bulb. All tiny metal pinchers inside that plug should be the same. If you see one thats a little more open use a tiny long metal...like a paperclip to press down one of those pinchers evenly as the others. Thing is one or more of those tiny metal pinchers isnt getting any contact with the bulb. Therefore, is what cause the high flashing. If this works buy me a beer.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Was this car in a flood or is there a leak under the dash? Last time I had a car do all that you are describing water had leaked into the relay/fuse panel and played havoc with the lights. Water could have gotten into one of the light units and is feeding power to the center brake light when the headlights are on. I would check the rear brake lights closely for leaks. The front lamps don't share the brake circuit. Break out a meter and check the circuit pathways when the harness is disconnected because your short may be in there. Look for cross connects.

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Ok while on the topic of blinkers, perhaps someone can help me out. My buddy was driving behind me and when you press the blinker with the perfect amount of pressure you can manipualte it to blink the light quickly; I simply did this for the heck of it, didnt see any harm. WELL, for the last 2 months all I here is rapid TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK's all the damn time, i have no idea where to even start with this, so if anyone can help me understand why the heck there is this constant ticking as if i were using the indicator then pleasssssse help me free myself from the ticking demons~ It is the same ticking heard when you activate the turn signal. Smacking, swearing and more fist pounding did not solve the problem.~

-JD. 1996/V6/LX. Killer Bass, & A Few Other Mods.
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
My guess is you are grounding the signal relay causing it to pick but you are not making up the circuit that directs the power to the approprate signal. The contacts in the column are probably a hair out of alignment. The timing of the relay is controlled by the load on it. That's why is blinks faster when a lamp is out.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
".. I noticed that when I turn on the blinkers they were really fast left or right. So, I checked the turn signals to see if any light bulbs where blown out. All the light bulbs work. Tonight, I was out and noticed that when I turn on the lights, my third brake light comes on. When I step on the brake, my third brake light comes on as expected. As soon as I let off the brake, the third brake light stays on. When I turn on the blinker, the third brake light goes out. I figure this is what is causing the fast blinker. Also, I noticed this problem at night because it's hard to see this problem during the day. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?"

Welcome 95tourgirl .

Multi Function Switch (MFS a.k.a. turn signal switch).
Read this.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1034181&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

"Outside of this problem and the gas needle reading empty when the gas tank is full, this car runs like it's brand new. I'm thinking it's the floaters for the gas tank that causing the needle to read empty when it's only on half a tank. I know it's half a tank when it says empty because I went to the gas station thinking my car was empty of gas and tried to fill it up. It would only take a half a tank of gas."
Yes, it could be the "floaters" or it could be the flapper valve which is preventing the gas from going in.
Read this.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1254190&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
and this
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1232312&Forum=trouble&Words=very%20common&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1week&Main=1232307&Search=true#Post1232312

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by European:
Ok while on the topic of blinkers, perhaps someone can help me out. My buddy was driving behind me and when you press the blinker with the perfect amount of pressure you can manipualte it to blink the light quickly; I simply did this for the heck of it, didnt see any harm. WELL, for the last 2 months all I here is rapid TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK's all the damn time, i have no idea where to even start with this, so if anyone can help me understand why the heck there is this constant ticking as if i were using the indicator then pleasssssse help me free myself from the ticking demons~ It is the same ticking heard when you activate the turn signal. Smacking, swearing and more fist pounding did not solve the problem.~

European,
What you did was wear out the connections at the MFS (or flasher). A new MFS (or flasher) should free you of the ticking demons.
Read this.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=677143&Forum=trouble&Words=turn%20signal&Match=And&Searchpage=13&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=673215&Search=true#Post677143

and this.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1073230&Forum=trouble&Words=flasher&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1073205&Search=true#Post1073230

Last edited by Tony2005; 06/12/06 02:29 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard