Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
I don't even know the name of this part so I can't search, and no I haven't consulted my manual yet , but... The thing just above the rear view mirror with the sunroof controls and reading lights is loose, and I'm not even sure what held it on before.

Is there a section on this site or a previous thread where fixing this was discussed? Thanks for humoring my stupidity...

--T.J.

P.S.--Not sure if I should post this here or in Troubleshooting, move as appropiate...

2000 SVT Contour, Black, stock, no tickets yet... www.seismicradio.com
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
I had a similar problem with my 96. Funny thing was, it was loose for a long time, and when some guy was test driving it, it just fell on him... Yeah, that makes the car look good...

Basically, there are two screws inside there, and for one reason or another they jsut wiggle themselves loose, if you pull off the bulb part you can get to where you replace the bulbs, no there wont be any screw hole here, you have to remove this as well, underneath that is a spot for a couple of screws, give them a good tighten down and reassemble, should be all set.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Same thing happened to me except, like AliasJerk, my car didn't have a sunroof. Unlike AliasJerk, my tabs actually broke (both of them!). One side was loose for a year and then one day I came out to my car and the dome light was hanging by the wire. It probably has something to do with the heat between the metals and plastic, since both of the tabs broke during warm periods.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Go to www.teamfordparts.com and do this:

Under the Body Parts section, put in your car. On the next page, select Contour.

It will take you to a page where you need to select this:

• Console
  • Overhead Console
  • Overhead Console

Bam, there it is, $22+shipping

• Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
    T
    Veteran CEG\'er
    OP Offline
    Veteran CEG\'er
    T
    Thanks, guys!

--T.J.

2000 SVT Contour, Black, stock, no tickets yet... www.seismicradio.com
    M
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    M
    yeah,my '98 Mystique actually had one of the plastic tabs melt,obviously from heat,and then when I went to repair it,the other one just broke as I started to unscrew it,because it was really brittle. I forget how I fixed it,but I think it was something with a zip tie. I traded the car in shortly after,lol. Haven't had that problem on either of my '95s.

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
    Z
    CEG\'er
    CEG\'er
    Z
    This happened to my 96. But the plastic trim cracked around it. I used some gerilla glue and its been fine.

96 Contour GL 2.0, ATX "Herman" 101K "A Clean zetec is happy zetec"
    B
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    Hard-core CEG\'er
    B
    Originally posted by Hugh G. Wrekshunn:
    when I went to repair it,the other one just broke as I started to unscrew it,because it was really brittle.

Exactly what happend to mine... took it off and 1 screw tab broke, put it back on, and while positioning, 1 tab in the back broke off.

Since it only had 2 tabs now (on the same side), the other tab in the back broke, so now it's just held on by 1 screw tab, which I'm sure is going to break soon.

...which is why I ordered a new one!

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard