Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I have a 99 SVT and have been around here for years.

Typically I used to keep the oil level at the full mark.

Over the past year, I've been heeding the suggestions of some people here that overfilling the engine slightly may help prevent some of the catastrophic engine failures people have seen.

However, every time I bring the oil slightly passed the maximum, the car seems to burn the "excess" off.

Now I did change oils around the time I started overfilling so unfortunately I can't say for sure which change has caused the consumption.

But I've read other posts and it seems like I'm not the only one who has seen oil consumption increase with a higher fill level.

Are most of you overfillers seeing this??

Brian

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by bxd20:
...Now I did change oils around the time I started overfilling so unfortunately I can't say for sure which change has caused the consumption....

From what grade oil to what grade oil? (5W-30 to 5W-20?)

For my 1996, I have only started the 0.5 quart (from 5.5 quart spec to 6 quart) overfilling last year (when I joined CEG) and have not seen any change in the oil consumption. Note that older engines (more than 5 years old?) have been known to consume some oil and I think Ford does say that losing a quart per thousand miles is acceptable.

I think the Owners' Manual warns that overfilling could cause an increase in oil consumption but I am more concerned with "oil starvation".

I need to check the bobistheoilguyforum.

Edit. Some good reading info.
http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/motor_oil_consumption.htm

Last edited by Tony2005; 06/09/06 04:26 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by bxd20:
Note that older engines (more than 5 years old?) have been known to consume some oil and I think Ford does say that losing a quart per thousand miles is acceptable.

A quart per 1,000 miles? LMAO...Mine has a lot of hard miles on it and doesn't use that much...and they think it is acceptable?

If my car used a quart of oil every 1,000 miles i would take the d@mn motor out!

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Back on topic,

99cougar, do you overfill your Duratec? And have you noticed any increase in oil consumption?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
6qts every change....no consumption at 100k.

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I switched from Mobil 1 OW-40 to Castrol Syntec (German formula) 0W-30 at about the time I started overfilling. I am leaning towards the oil being the cause, just looking for other people's observations. (BTW, although many people at bobistheoilguy have great data to prove that German Castol is a great oil, if I play with this scenario a bit and the consumption continues I'll be switching back. I might run a UOA on the GC first. Mobil1 UOA's always looked good.)

80k miles on my car now.

But to keep this thread on track and not let it turn into an oil brand debate: Is the 0.5qt overfill connected to increased oil consumption in your experiences? That's the question.

H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
No. I've been filling with 6qts every change for the last three years and I don't think I've ever seen the level drop. I was debating whether to go to 6.5.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by hetfeild:
No. I've been filling with 6qts every change for the last three years and I don't think I've ever seen the level drop. I was debating whether to go to 6.5.

I wouldn't do that, the one time I went 6.5 I got an oil leak, back to 6 now and I think the leak has stopped, changine the oil pan gasket and volve cover gaskets to be sure

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
H
H
Hmmm... there was a discussion about filling levels a while back, and the only problem that was discussed was possible crank whip, but I was told that would only happen at 7+ quarts. No one brought up the possibility of leaks.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by hetfeild:
Hmmm... there was a discussion about filling levels a while back, and the only problem that was discussed was possible crank whip, but I was told that would only happen at 7+ quarts. No one brought up the possibility of leaks.

I might have had the leak already, it was my second oil change on Mobil 1 when it started, or at least I noticed that it started

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard