Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
MY ATX recently died on my '98 Countour Sport. I was probably going to get a new (or at least new to me) car, since I cannot see spending the money to have the ATX replaced. However, since the car's sitting in my driveway, I might consider replacing the tranny if I come across a replacement cheap.

What are your opinions on the difficulty of this job. I'm not mechanically incompetent (recently replaced my wife's timing belt) and have a good complement of tools, and have made special tools on occasion. Never tried to change out a tranny, though, and was just interested in how hard people thought it was, particularly on a contour.

Thanks for any opinions!

Michael Rossini '98 Ford Contour SE
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

Last edited by Tony2005; 06/09/06 02:22 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I have completely rebuilt a CD4E and can tell you that if you can follow the instructions in the factory rebuild manual AND have the right tools (cost more than all the rebuild parts & some hard parts), it's rather straight forward. Be honest with yourself ... you know your ability and threshold for "pushing your comfort level".

If you are up to it, I have all the tools you will need and I no longer need them. These tools include the ford factory rebuild manuals as well. PM me if you are interested.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
This thread actually sparked an interest in me to get off my ass and document the process. Keep in mind, this is only ALL pictures ... I will follow up with detailed written instruction w/hints. However, 90% of this is pointless without the right tools. Not trying to hawk my tools on you, just trying to get the point across. Btrautman will be the first to agree. Hell, I loaned him my tools for his build

Anyway, without further ado ... I present a pictoral of a CD4E rebuild (circa January 2005):

http://www.fastcougar.com/cd4e_rebuild/index.htm

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Originally posted by fastcougar:
This thread actually sparked an interest in me to get off my ass and document the process. Keep in mind, this is only ALL pictures ... I will follow up with detailed written instruction w/hints. However, 90% of this is pointless without the right tools. Not trying to hawk my tools on you, just trying to get the point across. Btrautman will be the first to agree. Hell, I loaned him my tools for his build

Anyway, without further ado ... I present a pictoral of a CD4E rebuild (circa January 2005):

http://www.fastcougar.com/cd4e_rebuild/index.htm

I still admit I certainly owe Fastcougar a beer or two if he is ever in Austin, Texas!!!! Without the proper tools you are asking for trouble.

If Fastcougar is willing to sell you the tools then the job is much more manageable. Check my thread on the rebuild details.....

If you don't want to purchase the tools or are afraid to tackle this I'd purchase a rebuild unit from Phoenix Transmissions. They sell complete dyno tested with torque converter for around 900 dollars plus shipping. ON the other hand if you enjoy this sort of work..........

My Contour is still running strong with the engine and tranny rebuild....knock on wood......

Regards to All!

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard