Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
stilov Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I know what they are and what they do...but what makes one "good".
We know about turbos and balancing and construction, and wastegates and the seals etc, but Blow valves? What's the deal...why do some handle more boost than others?

98 E0 SVT with some stuff
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
It's mostly due to design... the good ones that can handle lots of boost have properly designed valving inside so that the boost pressure is acting on a much bigger area then the manifold pressure. That way the BOV can never blow open. You'll notice that lots of the common cheap ones that people complain about do not do this.

And then there are material differences.

Look at the price of a good Tial BOV compared to some of the junk people run...

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
how about diverter valves and blowoffs?

what are the pros/cons of both?

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
What is considered "junk", though? I have had a very good experience with the TurboXS RFL. It took a few tries to get the washers set up right for the correct spring pressure, but it's a "set it and forget it" kind of thing. The only thing I don't really like is that it's a blow-off to atmosphere type. I don't like the thought of all that metered air blown off into space, but it's for such a short time... :shrug:

Dan G. and his Cougar Forged internal (Diamond & Pauter) full 3L, "Monster" Kinger F/I cut & P&P, T3/4 60 trim .82A/R ADC turbo, SPEC Stage 3, Torsen, Greddy Profec-B SPEC II, Apex'i Timer, Lots of Gauges! Used to have: 3.0L SVT hybrid
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
What do most contour people use? Ive heard nothing but rave reviews about the HKS SSQV

Im not familiar with the exact turbo setup so i dont know if the BOV is before or after the MAF, so what do people run VTA or Recirc?

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
For the amount of boost any Contour would run.....just about any BOV would work within its effieciency range. A lot fo BOVs start to fail once you run more boost.

I have past experience with HKS and Greddy, both seem to be really good VTA and are adjustable. Both handle up to 22-25 psi.

Last edited by EVOLUTION VIII; 06/09/06 05:06 PM.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by DanG:
What is considered "junk", though? I have had a very good experience with the TurboXS RFL. It took a few tries to get the washers set up right for the correct spring pressure, but it's a "set it and forget it" kind of thing. The only thing I don't really like is that it's a blow-off to atmosphere type. I don't like the thought of all that metered air blown off into space, but it's for such a short time... :shrug:

Hey, the Type RFL can be converted into a bypass valve with an adapter. Just unscrew the bellmouth that is on the side and screw in a piece of pipe and then plumb the hose back into the intake at the inlet to the turbo. Then you have a good quality bypass valve.

Otherwise the type RFL works great.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Some of the better BOV's are the ones that come from the factory.. the subaru one is actually pretty good but the flange on it is retarded.

I've read good things about the HKS SSQV in that it meets the design standards i said above.

Many people here have had good experiences with the TurboXS's but most people who are running lots of boost have lots of problems with them because from what I recall.. and don't quote me on this... but they don't meet the design I noted above.

BOV vs. BPV (or diverter valve I guess)

BOV = dump to atmosphere
BPV = dump to post-MAF/pre-Turbo

For a MAF system you "should" have a BPV. The whole metered air thing and all that jazz. Now technically the BOV would only be open when you're under vacuum such as when you let off the throttle and there's a big pressure differential so you only really get rich conditions between shifts and dropping out of WOT (some people like it for the flame shooting effect). Lots of people get away with BOV but it's technically not the correct way to do it.

This is all with a draw-through system... if you're go blow through i think most of them put the BOV before the MAF and they can use a BOV just fine. Seems like that would cause some reversion through the MAF but what do I know.

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by WRX Barge:
Some of the better BOV's are the ones that come from the factory.. the subaru one is actually pretty good but the flange on it is retarded.

Except the Stock BOV on the WRX and STI's lose boost cause they are crappy pieces of plastic. Same with the Speed6, Thats why most change over, to hold the boost past 5500rpm's where the stocker tends to leak.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Originally posted by Tourige:
Originally posted by WRX Barge:

Except the Stock BOV on the WRX and STI's lose boost cause they are crappy pieces of plastic. Same with the Speed6, Thats why most change over, to hold the boost past 5500rpm's where the stocker tends to leak.

Do you know who your talking to?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard