Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tella Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Hi all, been ages since I've been on.

I have been trying, to no avail to lower my back seat (to make the trunk spacier for large items) and danged if I can figure out how it's done. I've had 3 other people try as well and none of them can figure it out. Please help me. Is there a button that releases it? I crawled in the trunk, couldn't find a release, I found a couple of buttons on the back seat itself and popped them, but it seems to be held fast on the outer edges I think.

Also, I'm confused as the year of my vehicle now. Is there a way to tell what year it is? the car lot that sold it to me said it was a '98, but I found an old oil change bill form the previous owners and it said it was an '96 and I ahve found another one that had it listed as an '97. Are their pictures or any distingushing birth marks each year would have, or a way to tell in the s/n itself? (Hence why I don't just download the manual and look it up myself)

Also, on a past question I had waaay back when...I have noticed it shakes badly when the foot is on the brake and the car is in drive (stopped at lights, etc). A person said they had the same problem and pointed out when it's in neutral is stops, which it does, but since then I have noticed this shaking happens only (or at least more pronounced) when the heat is on or the air conditioning. the higher the air conditioning, the worse the shaky. It makes a heck of a noise too when I'm at stop lights shaking and rattling during those really hot days. It might make the noise when the heat is on too, but of course the window is shut then so it's not as obvious (so it's not a noise like a no muffler sound). Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this? Doesn't seem to affect the car itself, just kind of embarrassing.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Check the driver's side door for a manuf. date.

This is a 98 or later nose:

This is a 97 or earlier nose:

Your back seat may not fold. Is it a split seat, or one piece? If it's a folding model, there will be cables in the top of the trunk, near the hinges for the lid.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
If you have the 60/40 fold down rear seats, open the trunk and look by the hinges (bars that hold the trunk) for the trunk. There is a little round lever you can pull to pop open the seat on each side. It's right on top/inside the car/trunk. Hope that helps (this is how it is in my car at least)

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
T
Tella Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Oh, Oh! The red one is mine, minus the sun roof. that's my baby! Isn't he pretty?? But the date on the drivers door says 10/95???? Now I'm really confused. The only thing I knwo is the windshield is from the Kansas manufacting plant. (mean anything?)

The back seat is one piece, and I thought, while crawling in my trunk, that on either side there appeared to be some sort of cables that had a casing around them and a note from the manufacturer that said to not touch, or open or some such thing like that. I thought maybe those were something else, but they sure looked like they headed to the back seat where it seems to be locked up tight. I couldn't see how they would work though. Looked kind of like some sort of umatics for the trunk or something along those lines.

T
Tella Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
whoops, on closer inspection, my headlights don't touch the centregrill..so my nose is more like the white car. Whoops sorry. So i ahve a '95 and the car lot told me it was a '98? Remind me not to go to that car lot again, okay? I guess they saw me coming huh?

Oh well, it's been a good car anyway for the amount I paid for it. *bit ticked at being conned though*

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Stand outside the car and look through the windshield on the driver's side. You will see a VIN (vehicle identification number). Starting from the left, count to the tenth digit. If it says S, you have a 95 model. If it says W, you have a 98 model.

As for the shaking, you may have a broken tranny/engine mount.

Edit. VIN decoder
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=articles&display=1

Last edited by Tony2005; 06/07/06 05:03 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
Tella Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I have a T followed by a K on my ID number. Is that good or am I even older? LOL

T
Tella Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
And once again had I taken a moment to finihs reading first, Id've found that out on my onw. its a 96. yay. one mystery solved. Thanks everyone.

*runs off to download the proper manual*

T
Tella Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Way cool!

I now know I have:
Country of Origin 1 USA
Manufacturer ID FA Ford Passenger Car
Restraint System L First Generation Air Bags
P65 Contour GL/Base (all), LX (98.5)
Engine Type 3 993; Zetec I4, 2.0L, 125hp
Check Digit 0-9,X (see Note 2) ( I have a 6)
T 1996
Assembly Plant K Kansas City, MO (Claycomo Plant)
Sequential ID # 100001 Ford counts from 100001 to 599999 (#130667)

Neat.So they onlyb had 30,000 ahead of mine to find all their mistakes..oh dear!

that was great fun. Thansk so much for that link.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Yeah, I was going to say, the '95 has silver strips on the bumper. They're body-colored on the 96-97 cars. I don't know of a fast way to tell 96-97 apart, or 98-2000.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard