Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
So I had that other thread going and well I sent it over to my tire dealer who's a family friend and he threw me an awesome offer on two of the tires listed. Please dont flame me for not continuing the other thread as I'm looking for an answer and few would notice the questions late in that thread.

I know it isnt the best approach for buying tires but hell the Kunhos are ranked highly for Ultra high perf all seasons:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

I'm 99.9% certain I'm going with the kumho ASX's
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+ASX

The Fuzions arent even ultra high perf a.s. jsut high perf a.s. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HPAS and the ratings are clearly worse than the kumhos. Just checking if there's any reason to sway me to the Fuzions.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Fuzion&tireModel=HRi

And the deal is 300$ for all four including mounting and balancing. So it's worth it He's just a big Fuzion rep and is trying to sway me but I'm not feeling it at all.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
For what size? The Falken Ziex ZE 512 is as sticky as either of them, for dirt cheap.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
For what size? The Falken Ziex ZE 512 is as sticky as either of them, for dirt cheap.

Both come in 205 55 16 OR 205 50 16

I just realized the fuzion is only H rated and the Kumhos are W. The answer is just plain sight to me now. Not that I need 168mph capabilities but from experience the higher the speed rating the less crap you pic up on roads imho.

The Falkens do come out to actually about 20$ more a tire, are they better though? No point in paying more if the kumhos will match em.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
What do you mean about "picking up less crap"? In any case, that has nothing at all to do with speed rating. V-rated ZE-512s in 205/55 are only $280 shipped for 4 from Discount Tire Direct, btw.

Read the FAQ about tires. Everything you've looked at so far is lousy in the snow. Assuming you don't need a snow tire, for $300 shipped you can get the Kumho SPT, which will be well worth the extra couple bucks over the ASX. It's a whole different class of sticky.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
I know what speed ratings mean, the tendency for the tire to deform shape at higher speeds. but from about 10 sets of tires on all different cars anything Z+ for me has never needed to be plugged etc. All my under Z rated sets at some point or another needing a plug at some point. It tends to happen right after a snowwy season when the plow leave debris from melted snow everywhere.

Now as for the 280$ shipped, yes it a good deal but I can still get the kumhos installed for cheaper. Heck 300$ no tax is not a bad deal by any means.

As for the snow issue, the last set I had was junk in snow.. Proxies 4 But Im just looking for a tire that can go in snow. Not the most drivable, thus the proxies worked imho.

I might go with the falkens but all other reviews on the tire have it over rated. This is the only site to really praise it. No one says much about the Kumho asx here but all around seems to get favorable reviews.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I've driven both the ASX and the ZE-512. I would never drive either in the snow if I could help it. I also really prefer the Falkens. They grip better in the dry and evacuate water better as well. Treadwear seems to be similar.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Oh, again- get cheap steelies with real winter tires, and get some SPTs and you'll have a much better handling, sticky car all year long. All-season tires are junk in the snow.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Originally posted by djdanyloz:
I know what speed ratings mean, the tendency for the tire to deform shape at higher speeds. but from about 10 sets of tires on all different cars anything Z+ for me has never needed to be plugged etc. All my under Z rated sets at some point or another needing a plug at some point. It tends to happen right after a snowwy season when the plow leave debris from melted snow everywhere.

Now as for the 280$ shipped, yes it a good deal but I can still get the kumhos installed for cheaper. Heck 300$ no tax is not a bad deal by any means.

As for the snow issue, the last set I had was junk in snow.. Proxies 4 But Im just looking for a tire that can go in snow. Not the most drivable, thus the proxies worked imho.

I might go with the falkens but all other reviews on the tire have it over rated. This is the only site to really praise it. No one says much about the Kumho asx here but all around seems to get favorable reviews.

do u mean need a plug from like a nail in the tread? your logic seems the opposite of what i think. higher speed ratings generally go with hi-po tires which generally are made of softer rubber so they stick better in the summer and thus why they r more prone to wear faster than regular non hi-po tires. stickier tires means they pickup stuff on the road easier than non hi-po tires. my t1s have have had 2 plugs so far. they r always covered in pebbles. i can even hear them picking up gravel etc vs allseasons or my snow tires which are only h-rated. i'm thinking just the opposite of what u said. maybe you've been lucky with z+ rated tires

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
I ran over 35,000 miles on my Kumho ASX's. They are completely shot now, and they never let me down in the handling department. I would definitly recommend them. I had them in a 225/45/17 size. These tires ran through Deal's Gap more times than I can count, too.

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Why haven't you looked at the Fuzion Zi or it's stablemate the Dayton Daytona ZR?

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard