Next Thread
Print Thread
#1584557 06/05/06 07:52 PM
E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Is Mercon V a sutable fluid to use on the MTX's???
I also heard Dextron III would work as well BUT I thought
I better check first. I tried some searching but I dont have alot of time to read as I am at work and getting the fluid on the way home from work.

#1584558 06/05/06 08:13 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
According to very old special service messages from Ford, you should not use Mercon V or any synthetic or synthetic blend Mercon fluid in that trans.

Some over at www.escape_central.com have reported problems using Mercon V.

This is complicated by the fact that Ford now is pushing the idea that Mercon V can replace Mercon, but they havn't put anything in writing specific to this transmission.

I have seen Mercon V used in this trans with no apparent ill effects, but I would still not take a chance.

By the way, I have never seen a Mercon rated fluid that was not also Dexron III rated and vica versa. Mercon is the Ford spec and Dexron III is a nearly identical General Motors spec. Any blender that meets one of the two has no trouble meeting the other.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#1584559 06/05/06 08:22 PM
E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
I see Mercon V all the time thats why I was asking about it.
I want to say thats what I put in it the last time but honestly cannot remember. Think Dextron III would be better to use I have alot of that but if not then Off to the parts store I go.

#1584560 06/07/06 01:05 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
For the MTX-75, the only fluid that is factory-recommended is Ford's Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid, spec WSD-M2C200-C, part number XT-M5-QS (quart) which replaced the 80W manual tranny fluid.

Mercon V is NOT recommended for ANY Ford manual transmission as of 2005.

Reference: Motorcraft Manual Transmission Fluid Recommendations

XT-M5-QS is recommended as the replacement service fluid for all MTX-75s going back to 95 regardless of what the left the factory with.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
#1584561 06/07/06 02:00 PM
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by ellmers95:
I see Mercon V all the time thats why I was asking about it.
I want to say thats what I put in it the last time but honestly cannot remember. Think Dextron III would be better to use I have alot of that but if not then Off to the parts store I go.

I Have Been Using Castrol's Mercon V For 5 Years Now And Never Had One Problem With Lubrication, Grinding, Synchros, Cold Shifting, Or Any Thing. I Used It On My Stock Diff And With The Quaife With No Ill Effects Whatsoever. Just A Testimonial...Nothing More To Be Arguementative About.

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
#1584562 06/07/06 11:02 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Big Jim:
According to very old special service messages from Ford, you should not use Mercon V or any synthetic or synthetic blend Mercon fluid in that trans.

Some over at www.escape_central.com have reported problems using Mercon V.

This is complicated by the fact that Ford now is pushing the idea that Mercon V can replace Mercon, but they havn't put anything in writing specific to this transmission.

I have seen Mercon V used in this trans with no apparent ill effects, but I would still not take a chance.

By the way, I have never seen a Mercon rated fluid that was not also Dexron III rated and vica versa. Mercon is the Ford spec and Dexron III is a nearly identical General Motors spec. Any blender that meets one of the two has no trouble meeting the other.

In one of my stupid moments I thought this was a question for Mercon V in an automatic trans Contour. I have a completely different answer for the MTX. I know that Terry Haines will disagree as he feels that the only fluid for the MTX is Ford Honey.

Ford specified Mercon for most of the production life of the Contour, changing the factory fill to Ford Honey full synthetic manual trans fluid just a few months before the end of production. It worked reasonably well. I will not deny that Ford Honey works better though. I have Ford Honey in my trans now.

Before Ford Honey was introduced I had a long phone conversation with a Ford hot line engineer about the MTX trans. We were talking about the roller bearing shift fork that was just introduced. During that conversation he disclosed that he had Mercon V in his Contour MTX and that it worked well for him, providing better cold weather shifting than ordinary Mercon. He did not have the roller bearing shift fork in his personal trans.

I'm not surprised. Mercon V has a broader viscosity index than plain Mercon so that it doesn't thicken up as much when it is cold. Mercon V also has a somewhat higher level of friction modifier. Although not as high as the Chrysler spec ATF+3 and ATF+4, it is still an improvement over ordinary Mercon.

I have not tried Mercon V in the MTX, but I would not be afraid to. I have used ATF+3 in my car extensively and it works very well. Nearly as well as Ford Honey.

So it's your car. Do what you wish. If you use Mercon V you will not be the first. I have heard no complaints from using it.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#1584563 06/08/06 02:31 PM
E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Thanks guys!!! Thats the answer I was hoping for!
Great responses!

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard