Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Bumping to update, and ask a question...

I got back to this last night - managed to disconnect the VSS from above, and found the PCV valve not inserted into its tube at all, so at least one other problem has been fixed. And discovered I'd disconnected the TR sensor, not the ATX hardware unit, so did that correctly this time as well.

Unfortunately, neither VSS nor ATX hardware unit was the cause of the short. So... time to trace the harness

Question -- So now that I have to start unwrapping splices and such to trace the PCM power relay wire, what should I use to rewrap the bundles? I've never had good luck with regular electrical tape, the adhesive softens in the heat. Are there high-temp tapes or some other product?

And as always, any hints or tips are appreciated.

Mark 2001 Laser Red Cougar V6 ATX CougarFest 2006 1st (tie) Best Paint / 2nd Cleanest Car CougarFest 2005 Best Stock 1998 Contour V6 ATX 1993 Tempo I4 ATX
L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Update, and a question on splice locations.

Weather, work, and other obligations have finally allowed me to return to this...

Where is S59, and S178, on a 98 Contour ATX V6?
The Ford Service CD says "S59 engine compartment - center", and "S178 - engine". Any Ford techs know where those are? Do I need to remove the UIM, or get to them from underneath?

If so, I'm going to have to find some friends to help me push it up onto the driveway, don't want to do that in the street.

Thanks!

Mark 2001 Laser Red Cougar V6 ATX CougarFest 2006 1st (tie) Best Paint / 2nd Cleanest Car CougarFest 2005 Best Stock 1998 Contour V6 ATX 1993 Tempo I4 ATX
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Did you pull the PCM connector? See if the short goes away. I will take a look at my 1995 electrical manual which is similar to the 1998. It might be worth getting the 1998 Ford Service books, and/or Alldatadiy.com online information. See if there is a 1998 Ford electrical and main manual, on eBay. The CD has a lot of information, but the books are easier to navigate. Check this topic tomorrow afternoon..

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I have the 98 EVTM hard copy. It is as big a piece of crap as is the CD version in terms of usability..... Don't waste time or money on it if you already have the CD.

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
It must be for 1998 they messed up what I find are useful diagrams in the 1995 version.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Linkman:
...Where is S59, and S178, on a 98 Contour ATX V6?
The Ford Service CD says "S59 engine compartment - center", and "S178 - engine". Any Ford techs know where those are? Do I need to remove the UIM, or get to them from underneath?

Can't tell you where exactly it is but...

according to Haynes, from Pin 37 and 57 on PCM, both are Green/Yellow which goes to S178.

From S178, it is Green/Red which goes to S59.

From S59, it branches out Green/Blue to (1)S66 and (2)S147.

From S66, it branches out Brown/Orange, Green/Yellow and Green/White to the ATX solenoid valve unit.

From S147, it branches out Green/White to Radiator High Speed Relay (R2?) in Power Distribution Box, Green/Blue to Radiator Cooling Fan Relay (R5?) in Power Distribution Box, and Green/Yellow to Power Supply Relay (R11?) in Power Distribution Box.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Originally posted by 2X95SEs:
This may be a dumb question but did you unplug the PCM to see if it was blown. I'v seen it happen.

I have disconnected all of the following load devices:
ATX solenoid plug
EVR solenoid plug
MAF plug
IMRC plug
A/C WOT relay
PCM plug under P/S reservoir <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<!!!!!!!!!
EVAP canister plug
IAC plug

Pull the computer - the little box in the kick panel, unplug it - plug in the 20 amp fuse and see if it blows. If it does, the problem is from the battery to the pcm feed or one of the powered circuits. If it doesn't, the pcm is shorted internally. Lots of floating grounds under the hood of the tour to fool a meter. My wiring diagrams from Ford don't match my color coded harnesses, so make sure they are right.
I've rewired cars that had melted harnesses and found lots of incorrect diagrams.

L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Thanks for the responses guys.

I've managed to narrow down the search though - it's in the harness somewhere south of C3001 - the large black plastic connector mounted on the driver side strut tower - but it's north of C120 - one of the connectors on rear passenger side valve cover, near the strut tower. So it's somewhere in the harness that connects the EVR solenoid / PCM / MAF / VSS / C645 (tranny hardware unit). Which runs behind/below the engine

The only splices on this part of the harness are S59, and S178, but for some reason the service manuals (while giving location diagrams for every component and connector) don't give a location for the splices beyond the text description I quoted. I'm guessing S59 isn't too far from the C3001 connector, since the MAF power comes off that splice, and I suspect S178 is down low to the rear, since the VSS and hardware tranny unit power come off that one.

At least knowing it's north of C120 means I don't have to pull the UIM and look at the injector harness.

I have pulled the PCM connector, and the short to ground remains. I disconnect C3001 and the short goes away, so it's south of C3001. I pull C120, and it remains, so it's north of C120. I was thinking it'd be best to start by looking at the splices, but I may have to just start at C3001 and inspect it all the way. But that "behind/below the engine" is going to be a PITA. I will need to move it off the street if I have to jack her up to examine anything from underneath.

So far the schematic diagrams seems correct as to wire colors matching pin numbers, but they did reverse the relay pin numbers 3 and 5 on the schematic. BTW, I have the actual paper copy of the 98 EVTM, and I'm comparing it to a 97 service CD.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I have a PCM new from a dealer for sale. PM me if you are interested!

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
It sounds like you are close to finding your problem
Hope it's running before the weekend!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard