Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
I am looking to do my first real maintenance (outside of oil, oil filter, air filter) on my 1999 Contour 2.5L.

I like the idea of cleaining the UIM and LIM without haveing to removed them (as I found in the FAQ titled: "UIM - Cleaning intake manifolds without removing them by Big Jim")

Anyway, and maybe this if obvious, but which vacuum taps do you need to disconenct to run the cleaner through? (I've read the description of "The cleaner is fed through the vacuum taps on the top of the intake manifold just behind the throttle body." but a picture would be nice).

Compared to people here, I am a novice at all of this, but I like doing the work, and if I can save some cash while doing some good maintenance at the same time, I am up for it. I just want to make sure that I don't shoot cleaner in the wrong area and screw things up.

Any quick assistance would be great as I am ready for an oil change in the next couple of days, and it would be nice to do the UIM and LIM cleaning (and TB while I am at it) and then do the oil and maybe spark plugs/wires (still on the originals at 72K miles) if I have time. A little injector cleaner as well per instructions on the UIM, LIM cleaning FAQ, and I should be sitting pretty good for a little while (fuel filter was replaced about 5K miles ago when the fuel pump went out).

Thanks to any and all that can help out with this simple request.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Nick Buol:
..Anyway, and maybe this if obvious, but which vacuum taps do you need to disconenct to run the cleaner through? (I've read the description of "The cleaner is fed through the vacuum taps on the top of the intake manifold just behind the throttle body." but a picture would be nice).

Picture Number 8. UIM/LIM rebuild with pics in Duratec Maintenance FAQ.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=931756&Forum=v6maint&Words=UIM%20aide&Match=And&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=931756&Search=true#Post931756

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
I don't have a pic, but there are 2 black, hard plastic hoses on the intake manifold, right behind where the throttle body attatches to the intake manifold. BE CAREFUL, these can break easily. Use a thin screwdriver to slide them out. Check under the FAQ, look for Ray's UIM/LIM WITH PICS. You'll see the hoses I mean. Good luck.

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by getsum111:
I don't have a pic, but there are 2 black, hard plastic hoses on the intake manifold, right behind where the throttle body attatches to the intake manifold. BE CAREFUL, these can break easily. Use a thin screwdriver to slide them out. Check under the FAQ, look for Ray's UIM/LIM WITH PICS. You'll see the hoses I mean. Good luck.

You mean use a flat head to hold the o-rings down so the lines can be pulled up.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Exactly. That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
This has been discussed a lot recently: don't bother. Running the cleaner through the vacuum taps does almost nothing on a dirty manifold.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
This has been discussed a lot recently: don't bother. Running the cleaner through the vacuum taps does almost nothing on a dirty manifold.

definatly not as good of a cleaning, it does something tho.

Also, its about 100000X safer if you dont want to end up spending money on parts you dont need.

I did the rebuild and ended up buying 2 sets of plugs, and 1 new set of magnecores cause the car was misfiring, [censored] that only happened AFTER i cleaned the UIM/LIM.

IMO the benefits really dont outweigh the problems that can be had, just stick with the berryman's your not missing much by cleaning it all.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
fyi - thats not going to give you the results that you think it will, if you dont want to spend the time "rebuilding" the uim and lim and want to go with a "quick fix" do a BG fuel system treatment, i covers the fuel rail(injectors), the uim-lim(carbon deposits), and the gas tank deposits. i did it last week and there is a 100% difference in response and power. i will be starting an interest check for a gb on the cleaner within the next few days (just a heads up)

99' silver smokin' csvt born on march 18 99' #1491 of 2760 burninrice no more
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by burninrice:
fyi - thats not going to give you the results that you think it will, if you dont want to spend the time "rebuilding" the uim and lim and want to go with a "quick fix" do a BG fuel system treatment, i covers the fuel rail(injectors), the uim-lim(carbon deposits), and the gas tank deposits. i did it last week and there is a 100% difference in response and power. i will be starting an interest check for a gb on the cleaner within the next few days (just a heads up)

your not going to get the results you expect with the rebuild, its negligable the amount of "power" you will get if your car has ever been cleaned or its not Gunked to all hell.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

Link Copied to Clipboard