Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
SVTake2 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I am installing a zex nitrous kit and I have two vacuum lines to hook up and I'm not sure the best place to put them.

Here is a little excerpt from the zex installation guide

"The nitrous oxide
that is distributed to the fuel control circuit passes through a small bleed orifice. This bleed
orifice provides a reference source of bottle pressure and a controllable source of pressure to
perform the needed function of fuel enrichment. Fuel enrichment occurs by conveying this
source of pressure through a delivery hose to the vacuum port on the fuel pressure regulator. This
source of pressure on the rubber diaphragm of the fuel pressure regulator causes an increase in
fuel pressure. This increase in fuel pressure performs the function of adding fuel volume through
the engine's own injectors."

One vacuum line goes to the intake manifold and I'm not sure specifically what vacuum hose they speak of.
Is it smaller of the two vacuum lines that connect to the intake tube?

The other Vacuum line is the feed to the Fuel Pressure Regulator. The red plastic vacuum line that attaches to the top
just goes into that rats nest of vacuum lines (not sure what that is called either) towards the back of the engine bay.

I am familiar with all these parts and know where they go and what they are attached to but as far as their
individual functions I'm not sure how it works. The whole vacum system is a bit of a mystery to me but I promise I'm not
a retarded noob (like all of us used to be lol). Is this junction a good place for a plastic "T" for that line?

what is this and what does it do?

Im pretty sure the TPS voltage wire I'm looking for is white but a confirmation from somebody smart would be rad.
I am having a custom tune done at the same place that I went to after my 3L swap. I guess I will find out then
what duty cycle my Stock SVT injectors are running at. Hopefully there will be enough head room for the extra fuel needed.
The plan was to have a separate Nitrous tune (activated by the nitrous arming switch) and pull back some timing.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated

And as a Pre-Thanks for the help you guys get the first look at my super stealth Install lol

98.5 Black contour // A.K.A. Frankenstein 3L Oval port swap W P&P // SVT UIM, LIM, & Cams Torsen LSD // Dual Friction // KKM // Poly Mounts // ?Mystery Mod? // Actually Running! 205 hp @ 6500RPM 180 tq @ 4250RPM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Second pic shows the PCV valve in your hand - put it back where it was and leave it alone - messing with this little unit can RUIN your driveability and a bunch of other stuff.

The red hose is indedd the vac source for the FPR.

To find another vaccum source follow the hose of the top of the UIM that ISN'T connected to the Brake Booster - at the end of that black pipe is a "distribution block" for various vacuum sources - take a "T" fitting and put it in line with one of those hose coming out of the distribution block - DON'T use the hoses coming out of the EGR's vacuum solenoid as that green hose to the EGR does not get vacuum all the time.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by SVTake2:
And as a Pre-Thanks for the help you guys get the first look at my super stealth Install lol

I like it! Very cool.

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
FWIW, I wouldn't mount the bottle that way, I'd mount it parallel with the car. That way the nitrous will always be availabe to the pick up tube.

Ryan Trollin!
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
The red vacuum line between the vacuum tree and the Fuel Pressure Regulator is what the ZEX system taps into in order to raise fuel pressure when the nitrous solenoid is activated ... that is the correct line for the ZEX system.

Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by We Todd:
FWIW, I wouldn't mount the bottle that way, I'd mount it parallel with the car. That way the nitrous will always be availabe to the pick up tube.

My thoughts exactly. Cool idea, just not executed properly. You'll lose nitrous pressure when you're down to the last couple of pounds.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
You'll lose nitrous pressure when you're down to the last couple of pounds.

Mark

The pressure issue is irrelavant in this case, its a matter of the liquid N2O 'slosh' to the side of the bottle and not being picked up by the pick up tube. Mounted parallel, the slosh N2O will be all around the pick up tube.

Ryan Trollin!
S
SVTake2 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Quote:

FWIW, I wouldn't mount the bottle that way, I'd mount it parallel with the car. That way the nitrous will always be available to the pick up tube.

I know mounting the bottle front to back would probably be optimal but the manual says you are able to mount the bottle this way because the pickup tube is bent towards the bottom corner of the bottle (the bottle needs to be facing a certain way). But the main reason I mounted the bottle this way is so that I can still fit my guitar amp in the trunk without having to pull all that stuff out. Priorities lol.

http://www.zex.com/Base/Instructions/ZEX109.pdf

I tried my best to copy and paste the diagram showing different bottle mounting positions but here is the pdf if anybody wants to check it out.

Quote:

The red vacuum line between the vacuum tree and the Fuel Pressure Regulator is what the ZEX system taps into in order to raise fuel pressure when the nitrous solenoid is activated ... that is the correct line for the ZEX system.

Beauty.. Thanks!

Quote:

To find another vacuum source follow the hose of the top of the UIM that ISN'T connected to the Brake Booster - at the end of that black pipe is a "distribution block" for various vacuum sources - take a "T" fitting and put it in line with one of those hose coming out of the distribution block - DON'T use the hoses coming out of the EGR's vacuum solenoid as that green hose to the EGR does not get vacuum all the time.

So this second vacuum source would work rather than cutting one of the big thick lines going to intake manifold? Iâ??m sure I will be able to find a good spot in there and not only that but it should be easier to tuck the hoses out of sight. So all the Zex box needs is its own closed loop in the vacuum system. So there are plenty of points where you could splice into.. Correct?

Quote:

Second pic shows the PCV valve in your hand - put it back where it was and leave it alone - messing with this little unit can RUIN your drivability and a bunch of other stuff.

If the PCV is bad could it cause the car to stall when RPMâ??s drop, like when shifting into neutral at speed to coast up to a red light? Every once in a while this happens and the ford dealer thinks it could be a vacuum leak of some kind, though they are unable to find it themselves. Also there is a grey control box that is part of the emissions system that controls the exhaust/intake manifold recirculation system. Could that cause any problems like this? It normally runs really well and I can avoid the problem by not letting the RPSâ??s drop so fast while I'm slowing down but it can be annoying. Iâ??ve replaced the IAC, the â??distribution blockâ? of vacuum hoses and checked all vacuum lines with no avail. Everything that looked cracked or worn was replaced during the swap. I was just looking for ideas of what else could cause that.

Iâ??ll Post a bunch more pics after this weekend. Thank you guys for all the help.

98.5 Black contour // A.K.A. Frankenstein 3L Oval port swap W P&P // SVT UIM, LIM, & Cams Torsen LSD // Dual Friction // KKM // Poly Mounts // ?Mystery Mod? // Actually Running! 205 hp @ 6500RPM 180 tq @ 4250RPM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
No No No ... the control box goes BETWEEN the FPR & vacuum tree ... there is no "second vacuum source".

1) disconnect the red vacuum line from the FPR
2) run a line to the ZEX box
3) run a second line from the ZEX box to the red vacuum line that you disconnected in step 1

Thus, the control box now sits between the vacuum line and the FPR, allowing it to bleed vacuum and thus control fuel pressure

Pictures are little small, but you should see what I'm talking about:

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by SVTake2:
Quote:

FWIW, I wouldn't mount the bottle that way, I'd mount it parallel with the car. That way the nitrous will always be available to the pick up tube.

I know mounting the bottle front to back would probably be optimal but the manual says you are able to mount the bottle this way because the pickup tube is bent towards the bottom corner of the bottle (the bottle needs to be facing a certain way). But the main reason I mounted the bottle this way is so that I can still fit my guitar amp in the trunk without having to pull all that stuff out. Priorities lol.

http://www.zex.com/Base/Instructions/ZEX109.pdf

I tried my best to copy and paste the diagram showing different bottle mounting positions but here is the pdf if anybody wants to check it out.

ah.

Ryan Trollin!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard