Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Glad I could help ya guys.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
Does anyone know the official name for the rubber part? Mine is doing the same thing and I probably need that same piece too

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by wcollegenj:
Does anyone know the official name for the rubber part? Mine is doing the same thing and I probably need that same piece too

Steering column - Lower boot
F5RZ-3D677-A

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but how would I go about doing it myself besides trying to look at that black and whitre stick figure diagram? Would I start under the hood or on the interior? How much do I have to remove, how long does it take? Can I remove and replace that rubber part (part #2) without removing anything major (i.e. steering wheel)? Thnaks for hte help guys

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by m4gician:
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but how would I go about doing it myself besides trying to look at that black and whitre stick figure diagram? Would I start under the hood or on the interior? How much do I have to remove, how long does it take? Can I remove and replace that rubber part (part #2) without removing anything major (i.e. steering wheel)? Thnaks for hte help guys

It's all done from the interior. Don't jack up the car or even pop the hood. Won't do anything for you.

There is one bolt at the very bottom of the steering column. Remove that bolt, wiggle the steering column off, pull the old boot out, and push the new one in place. Locks in three places. Top of the boot goes in first. It kinda hooks onto the car. Two other clips just lock by pushing hard. You'll see when you look at the old one or the new one.

Do not let the rubber boot make too much contact with the steering because it can easily rip it again.

Line up the steering and put the bolt back in. Don't worry at all about aligning the steering wheel. It only attaches 1 way and will end up in the exact spot you removed it from.

Total time: about 10-15 mins.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
you are a hero man, let me just find you a trophy... well to me that's both good news and bad news, The good news is now I'm going ot have that stupid heat problem fixed by tomorrow, but the bad news is that I'll have to get a front wheel alignment done to fix that stupid lean on the steering wheel.

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by m4gician:
but the bad news is that I'll have to get a front wheel alignment done to fix that stupid lean on the steering wheel.

Huh?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

There is one bolt at the very bottom of the steering column. Remove that bolt, wiggle the steering column off, pull the old boot out, and push the new one in place.

Okay I get that, now is there a place on that diagram 'that one bolt' would be located? What kind of bolt is is it by chance? A 7mm? Anyways, going to get under there and replace it, thanks for the help.

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Originally posted by wcollegenj:

Steering column - Lower boot
F5RZ-3D677-A

This part number is for all years and both the Tours & Stiques, right?

2000 Mystique LS Duratec 2.5L MTX
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
yep

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard