Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1582577 06/01/06 03:17 PM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Someone recently posted a link to a racing jack at a very good price. For the life of me I can't find that post. Anyone?

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
T
I have no life
I have no life
T

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
That makes me feel not so cool about the 4000lb aluminum craftsman jack I got for $150.

-06 GTO Torrid Red/M6 -98 LS with BPU -05 Honda Odyssey EX-L mv .zig ..\for\great\.justice
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
the harbor freight jacks are only so-so. The pad where the car sits can be pretty brittle, so if you get one be sure to ALWAYS have the pad loaded in the center, and ALWAYS use jackstands to protect against a falling car should something break. Though, those should be followed w/ any jack regardless.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
B
BV1 Offline
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
For some reason I just dont feel safe under a 3000lb car supported by Aluminum. My Jackstands are steel thankfully.

-Steve

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by BV1:
For some reason I just dont feel safe under a 3000lb car supported by Aluminum. My Jackstands are steel thankfully.

-Steve

Nothing wrong with aluminum, when its properly designed; but you should NEVER EVER crawl under a car that is only supported by a jack; that is a good way to get yourself killed. Jacks can lose hydraulic pressure, or tip over, or any number of things. Aluminum jackstands are fine, as long as they are good ones. Aluminum jacks are good too, as long as they are well designed and made, we use Longacre and Brunnhoelzl aluminum jacks for our race cars, and they are really good stuff.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
B
BV1 Offline
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
Oh, I completely agree with you, your right, but Im just making fun of human tenacity.

I think its ludicrous that we take the lightest, cheapest combination of material we can find (Aluminum best weight to cost ratio) and make a jack out of it. We see how much weight it will support before it snaps and then we call it a "4000 lb jack".... because.... I'd feel save using it with 4000 lbs on it? lol

Then due to the competitive capitalistic nature of North America, we battle out to see who can make it the cheapest, where it ends up probably getting made in China who sells it back to us for us to use.

Then were suppose to feel better about spending more money on it vs a standard jack because were saving some weight lugging it around. Hence its a... "racing" jack AKA a Type R jack, lol which of course will blow the doors off a standard jack.

Which brings me to the one I bought:

http://www.princessauto.com/_osn.cfm?CTRY=CAN&output=OSN&SRCH=1&SRCHAREA=OSN&T1=1-1/2%20TON%20%20ALUMINUM%20FLOOR%20JACK

which I actually think, was made in China. lol.

Which brings me back to my original post:

"For some reason I just dont feel safe under a 3000lb car supported by an Aluminum jack. My Jackstands are steel thankfully."

-Steve

Last edited by BV1; 06/10/06 05:15 PM.
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Aluminum race jacks are nice but be careful. I picked one up last year and it didn't even last me 2 months. The seal around the piston blew out and leaked fluid everywhere. Luckily I wasnt anywhere near the car when it happened, but I could have been. Just be careful when using them. Probably best to try to lift one corner at a time instead of tring to do each side.

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by BV1:
Oh, I completely agree with you, your right, but Im just making fun of human tenacity.

I think its ludicrous that we take the lightest, cheapest combination of material we can find (Aluminum best weight to cost ratio) and make a jack out of it. We see how much weight it will support before it snaps and then we call it a "4000 lb jack".... because.... I'd feel save using it with 4000 lbs on it? lol

Then due to the competitive capitalistic nature of North America, we battle out to see who can make it the cheapest, where it ends up probably getting made in China who sells it back to us for us to use.

Then were suppose to feel better about spending more money on it vs a standard jack because were saving some weight lugging it around. Hence its a... "racing" jack AKA a Type R jack, lol which of course will blow the doors off a standard jack.

Which brings me to the one I bought:

http://www.princessauto.com/_osn.cfm?CTRY=CAN&output=OSN&SRCH=1&SRCHAREA=OSN&T1=1-1/2%20TON%20%20ALUMINUM%20FLOOR%20JACK

which I actually think, was made in China. lol.

Which brings me back to my original post:

"For some reason I just dont feel safe under a 3000lb car supported by an Aluminum jack. My Jackstands are steel thankfully."

-Steve

I'm working on a balsawood jack. Talk about light!

As soon as I get it certified, I have a Nigerian company lined up for mass production.

My jackstands are plastic...

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Rara:
the harbor freight jacks are only so-so.

i agree. i looked at one in person, and the pad is flippin TINY. too small for someone like myself who would use it to lift the rear of a solid rear axle car by the diff.

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard