Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Since my 'Tour is dead and gone I found a replacement. I'm getting an older Nissan pickup. It has some 1995 style side vinyl graphics. I want to take them off, but I'm worried about the condition of the paint beneath vs. the exposed paint.

I was planning on pulling a bit off and seeing how different the paint looks. Is there some product to even the look of the 2 painted areas up? It's Red, if that matters.

Any suggestions? I was planning on giving it a GREAT bucket wash and Claybar and buff. What else?

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
'95, more than likely does not have a clearcoat which would've somewhat protected it from UV.

The paint should be fine under the graphics...the exposed paint may be faded a bit and possibly oxidized, and if thats the case, it can't be evened out. You can polish & bring the shine out evenly to get rid of the oxidation, but the paint may not match.

Was it garaged? Are the decals rather large?

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by SVZETEC:

Was it garaged? Are the decals rather large?

No, I don't think so.
Yes, all down the sides.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Most likely can be wheeled out.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by todras:
Most likely can be wheeled out.

With what sort of product? Buffing compound? Polishing? Cleaner wax? Would a Clay bar help?

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Clay bar...no

It all depends on the surface as to how much grit a compound/polish would need. Noone could give you a for-sure answer w/o seeing the vehicle's surface.

If it's the original paint a light compound would be good to start w/, followed by polish (both w/ the wheel), then a finishing glaze by hand.

Still if the paint that wasn't covered by the decals has faded, no matter how much polishing, it will be a different color...that may or may not be the case

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Clay bar...no

It all depends on the surface as to how much grit a compound/polish would need. Noone could give you a for-sure answer w/o seeing the vehicle's surface.

If it's the original paint a light compound would be good to start w/, followed by polish (both w/ the wheel), then a finishing glaze by hand.

Still if the paint that wasn't covered by the decals has faded, no matter how much polishing, it will be a different color...that may or may not be the case

I guess here is my question. My Contour died I have inherited a 1995 Nissan pickup. It is in the shop for some minor work. It is red and has some vinyl graphics (stock) up the sides. I want to take the vinyl off but am concerned about the possible/ likely color differences.

When it is running again, I want to really clean it up well.

What do I need to do?

Maybe the detailing gurus can give me a list of things to do to clean it up. Please list method (I have an orbital buffer) and product (specific please) and order. I do have some Meguiar's stuff around, not sure what. 3M Buffing compound I have some. I just ordered a claybar kit.

What do I do with some minor rustspots? I can't afford a repaint now, probably for a while.

Thanks.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Former Contour Owner:

What do I do with some minor rustspots? I can't afford a repaint now, probably for a while.

Thanks.

More decals

Post some pics when you get it back & maybe these guys can help you out more...

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Former Contour Owner:

Thanks.

More decals

Post some pics when you get it back & maybe these guys can help you out more...

Good idea. I was thinking about some of those bullet hole looking ones...

haha
I will post some photos ASAP.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
If it's 11 years old,red and not garaged,the paint will be faded.

2000 Silver SVT
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard