Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
This is a Phoenix CMR event. They allow pretty much anyone to run, with no safety equipment other than a helmet. It's a driving school, with lots of in-car instruction, so it's good for first-timers (like me). I went last year to ride along and see how it worked, and I'm pretty psyched to go run this year.

The event is $390 (early registration) for two days, which is a TON of track time. There are a lot of very cool cars to see, as well: last year there was a Superbird, two Ford GTs, a bunch of Z06s and 911s, a fully-prepped first-gen Mustang, and more.

So, if anyone thinks they're interested in taking thier Contour (or other car) out for a track day, this is a decent place to start. I'd love to make this a big CEG event if possible. Phoenix CMR is a Mustang/Shelby type place, for the most part, so there's lot of love for the Contour there, although Foci were the only 4-door Fords there last year.

It is a bit of money: $390 for the event, money for lodging (I'm camping - very cheap and close!), food, etc., and it's heavy on brakes and tires. If people think they want to go we can discuss prep for open-track driving.

So, anyone interested? This is the time to ask the wife/parents and get planned. Again: this is not road racing. It's a driver's education event, and safety is paramount. Passing is only allowed on the front and back straights (except advanced/instructor groups) and you are expected to slowly work your way up to the limits of the car. Instructors will help you in the classroom, and in the car. There was an older lady in a new T-bird there last year, so I assure you - you won't be laughed at. More likely, the Contour will make you look like a good driver since it's so predictable and capable on the track.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
I'd love to go if it didn't cut into my 3L money so deeply, it's annual right, so there'll be another one next year? 'Cause I'll definitely go to one next year!

'99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...80K and running like it just rolled off the lot. Tryin' to add an extra .5L ASAP
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Joe Quaranto who runs this event, is a fellow instructor and has asked me to instruct at his events (this is actually the second 1 at the Glen this yr.). Unfortunately, I cannot make it this yr., but will be instructing at the local SVTOA event.

For those who've never been before, Watkins Glen is an awesome track. Hosted F1, Indy Cars, Protoyptes, Nascar, etc. Highly recommended!

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
I am planning on attending this event. I'll have to double check today if I can get the time off from work. If I can, i will register tommorrow.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Awesome! I'm buying brake-duct material today, and shopping for a set of pads and rotors. A certain person is a bit upset that this has been occupying more time that preparing for my wedding, so I'll have to stop prepping soon.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
yeah I'm still researching pads and tires. Getting a campsite sounds like a great idea. I have a ton of questions, which hopefully will be answered when I register.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I went and rode along last year, so feel free to ask me any questions. It looks like Hawk HPS are the best pads available to us if you want to be able to run them on the street as well. I'm probably going to go with them, and run some big ducts. I got 3" ducting and I'm going to pull my fogs for the event, and use those holes.

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard