Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
jaged Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
the only thing i found in the oil pan was metal shavings the block has a build date of oct 02. I would like to know as well what years the sand issue was in. If i can find a taurus motor cheap i might just swap out the pan and cams. the escape cams seem to have more torque at the lower end wich fits my autox needs more, but i may be wrong in this though

2001 2.5 Cougar with some mods 1999 3L Cougar with more mods www.cougardb.com/car.php?id=jaged www.cougardb.com/car.php?id=jaged3L
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well, I don't know about the new escape blocks but if you get one with a few miles on it and then go through it properly you will likely not have any problems.

BTW, sometimes these rods spin bearings....it has been happening on contours for years and has been known as the "oil starvation issue".
So it isn't new, it isn't completely unexpected for one to pop up especially when you don't know the build details.

IMO if you buy duratec based contour or 3L adapted contour from someone and you don't know the public history of the the engine/car? Plan on taking the time to pull the pan and do a bearing inspection. THe worst it will cost you is a couple of hours and some new rod bolts that are easy enough to pop into the caps. If you are at it with a little time and energy and you mic the crank to find the diameters, you can install better quality clevite77 bearings for a little extra insurance.

At this point, post a picture of the damaged crank journal so we can see....just out of curiosity. One of us may be able to recommend a course of action based on how damaged it is.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by warmonger:
Well, I don't know about the new escape blocks but if you get one with a few miles on it and then go through it properly you will likely not have any problems.

BTW, sometimes these rods spin bearings....it has been happening on contours for years and has been known as the "oil starvation issue".
So it isn't new, it isn't completely unexpected for one to pop up especially when you don't know the build details.

IMO if you buy duratec based contour or 3L adapted contour from someone and you don't know the public history of the the engine/car? Plan on taking the time to pull the pan and do a bearing inspection. THe worst it will cost you is a couple of hours and some new rod bolts that are easy enough to pop into the caps. If you are at it with a little time and energy and you mic the crank to find the diameters, you can install better quality clevite77 bearings for a little extra insurance.

At this point, post a picture of the damaged crank journal so we can see....just out of curiosity. One of us may be able to recommend a course of action based on how damaged it is.

Oil starvation on a full oval port!? No way. I've cranked my engine to 6k on hard right handers and I've watched my oil pressure stay constant!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Tell that to my last engine.

TH...

....well SOME of us have never subscribed to it as
being an oil starvation problem on ANY V6
Duratech...but then again the masses decide, right!LOL

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by todras:

Oil starvation how?! In 50 miles what happened todd?!

I think that was builder error...did you prime the engine before you started it up?!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
J
jaged Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
the last autox had 2 360* turns

here's a pic of the damage, not the greatest however

2001 2.5 Cougar with some mods 1999 3L Cougar with more mods www.cougardb.com/car.php?id=jaged www.cougardb.com/car.php?id=jaged3L
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well that certainly looks repairable.
Maybe a sharper image will tell for certain.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by todras:

TH...

....well SOME of us have never subscribed to it as
being an oil starvation problem on ANY V6
Duratech...but then again the masses decide, right!LOL

Actually Terry was one of the people that brought a lot of information on oil starvation to light in the beginning. He suggested the use of Accusumps, suggested the use of clevite77 bearings (a good one I might add )to give a bit more durability, and also suggested it might be crank whip and caused a mass movement to buy DMDs...that has now been retracted as apparently making no impact on spun bearings.

Since no one knows why for sure except that many people get oil light flashing minutes before the bearings go, it seems to have settled back to oil sloshing in the pan during sweeping turns as a likely cause.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard