Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by jaged:
i would rather spend a little bit of money now to elimate some things rather that pull the motor and tear it apart and have to buy gaskets and head bolts, and then not have it be a bearing. Besides the oil change is the only money i spent on it.

I was avoiding pulling the motor back out since i just had it out to put in a clutch since the one i bought the car with wasnt enough for the motor

You don't have to do that...pull the oil pan and check!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
J
jaged Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
but if it was a spun bearing wouldnt it loose oil pressure? My pressure guage hasnt change from before the ticking showed up

2001 2.5 Cougar with some mods 1999 3L Cougar with more mods www.cougardb.com/car.php?id=jaged www.cougardb.com/car.php?id=jaged3L
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
but if it was a spun bearing wouldnt it loose oil pressure? My pressure guage hasnt change from before the ticking showed up

LOL!

Just check the conrods themselves already! I don't want to see another post til you have done so.

J
jaged Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
obviously i havent had to deal with anything internal happening before on either of my duratecs so how bout trying to explain to me what a spun bearing sounds like. right now it sounds like a card in a bike spoke, but only metal sounding. Ive read all the FAQ's and it didnt help me had a couple mechanics listen to it at the meet at my house this past weekend and they said that it didnt sound like a bearing. Ill drop the pan and check it out, but its always better to explain stuff instead of just saying "do this"

Last edited by jaged; 06/04/06 05:52 PM.

2001 2.5 Cougar with some mods 1999 3L Cougar with more mods www.cougardb.com/car.php?id=jaged www.cougardb.com/car.php?id=jaged3L
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
a spun bearing is pretty unique. I think what he is saying is if you see metal shavings in the oil pan than that is from the rod knock. good luck!

Built April 18th 1998 #5770 of 6535 Reborn: July 11, 2004 3L and gone again 12/13/2005 new ride: 98 Silver frost SVT with all my old goodies!!!!
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
obviously i havent had to deal with anything internal happening before on either of my duratecs so how bout trying to explain to me what a spun bearing sounds like. right now it sounds like a card in a bike spoke, but only metal sounding. Ive read all the FAQ's and it didnt help me had a couple mechanics listen to it at the meet at my house this past weekend and they said that it didnt sound like a bearing. Ill drop the pan and check it out, but its always better to explain stuff instead of just saying "do this"

It sounds like what you are describing!!!! It doesn't matter if it is a duratec. Rod knock is rod knock! To check I would give each conrod a little jiggle to see if there is any play!

Also a spun bearing wouldn't mean that you would lose oil pressure entirely! The car wouldn't run without oil pressure! You would notice a loss of oil pressure if the pan ran dry and you weren't pumping oil.

B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by MapOfTazi ohhh right:

It sounds like what you are describing!!!! It doesn't matter if it is a duratec. Rod knock is rod knock! To check I would give each conrod a little jiggle to see if there is any play!

Also a spun bearing wouldn't mean that you would lose oil pressure entirely! The car wouldn't run without oil pressure! You would notice a loss of oil pressure if the pan ran dry and you weren't pumping oil.

When I spun 2 rod bearings, plus 1 main bearing in my stock 2.5 I had no knocking at idle at all. It was fine until about 2800 RPM, then it sounded like it was coming apart... tick tick tick isn't typically a rod bearing sound, more of a thunk thunk thunk coming distinctly from the bottom of the engine.

To me, it sounds more like a stuck lash adjuster, or a bad follower if it's coming from the top of the engine (very easy to check with stethescope (SP?).

If the sound comes more from the middle of the engine, bad rings, or broken ring land. Can usually pick those up listening to the exhaust pipe comming from that cylinder (hard to do in a Contour).

If it does happen to be coming from the rods, you can check that with a stethescope without removing a single part as well by listening to the pan at different points with the engine at idle (with the car properly supported by stands of course).

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
the def of a thunk and a tick are open to interpretation I suppose. But spending money on oil thinking the problem is just going to fix itself is a waste.

J
jaged Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
well i drove it to work and then over to where i work on the car and it changed from a ticking(like a bad lifter tick) to a thunk. Pulled the oil pan, saw the shavings, took off some more stuff and found that on the #3 cylinder i had spun a bearing.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
well i drove it to work and then over to where i work on the car and it changed from a ticking(like a bad lifter tick) to a thunk. Pulled the oil pan, saw the shavings, took off some more stuff and found that on the #3 cylinder i had spun a bearing.

OUCH . You going to build another one?

Aaron

AKA NVS SVT 98.5 Silver/Blue SVT#4553 Yeah it's modded 98 T-Red/Blue SVT Contour Totaled 06/05/06 03 3L,VCN 2000,CAT Cams,MSDS Headers w/Y-Pipe,XCal2 and lots more
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard