Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Now that ethanol is replacing MTBE, I would expect that more owners of '97, '98 vehicles will be experiencing the 'fuel spit-back/difficult to fuel' problem.
There is a ford ESP 1M04 (extended service plan = hidden warranty) that covers the part 'till 10yrs/100K miles.
The fix is to replace the tank filler neck assembly with a new one that has a flapper valve that is made of the proper material that will not swell and stick when exposed to the new fuel additives. Despite the advice in other postings, I was not able to impact the problem by 'rodding' the filler neck with a long piece of coat hanger wire.
In order top replace the part, a portion of the rear suspension has to be lowered, and the tank lowered as well.
It would be an expensive proosition if it was not covered - so best to have it taken care of while Ford will foot the bill.
Stay tuned.
AL

When I dropped the car off, the service advisor went out to put the hang-tag on the mirror, and the paper mat on the floor. After a minute or so she comes back in and asks me if there is a 'trick' to starting the car. I said 'no, but let me see if there is a problem.' Turns out that the paper mat was obstructing the travel of the clutch pedal, and she wasn't making the interlock so the car would not crank. I hope the service guys have more on the ball.

Last edited by goldsmi; 05/30/06 12:31 PM.

Red '98 SVT E0 3098/6535 DMD other stuff and a Bullitt fuel door
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by goldsmi:
When I dropped the car off, the service advisor went out to put the hang-tag on the mirror, and the paper mat on the floor. After a minute or so she comes back in and asks me if there is a 'trick' to starting the car. I said 'no, but let me see if there is a problem.' Turns out that the paper mat was obstructing the travel of the clutch pedal, and she wasn't making the interlock so the car would not crank. ...

Thanks for posting. Believe it or not, this happens quite a few times out "there".

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Picked up the car - problem resolved. It's nice to be able to fuel normally again.
The invoice shows Valve assembly - F8RZ 9U085 AC and a gasket XS7Z 9072 AA.

It's called a flapper valve, but I suspect that it is the rollover valve that sits on top of the gas tank - that's why they have to drop the tank to replace it. The filler neck and associated plumbing have not been touched.
Bill to Ford was $200 on the paperwork I didn't get to keep.

Again that's ESP 1M04 - get it done before 10/100.

AL

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
It's not a "hidden" warranty at all.

Owners were notified by letter when the owner notification took place. I used to have the letter on my desk before I moved last year. Since I'm well over 100K, I tossed it instead of packing it.

It is the flapper valve located on the very end (outlet) of the filler pipe where the fuel dumps into the tank.

The gasket listed is the one that seals the filler tube mates with the tank.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
oh snap. i have this problem bothering me every fillup. do i just go in and tell them about the fuel flapper thing? or do i tell em the code number lol... really dont wanna get stuck with that $200 bill if i shouldnt be.
thanks

.Snipey

- 98 SVT #5999 -. -CDA-7894 w/ ipod interface -Knauberized, Trubendz 2.5/highflow cat
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Snipey,
I called the service dept, told them that I was experiencing the slow fill/fuel spit-back problem described in 1M04 and needed to make an appointment for service. They gave me a date and ordered the part so it was in stock when I brought the car in.

AL

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard