Next Thread
Print Thread
A
acammer Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
So, as the weather has started to warm up quite a bit, I think I'm starting to notice some ill effects of the current setup I have with a warm air intake. (open element K&N) After standing in traffic, when accelerating, I've felt what seemed like a slight and sudden loss of power, almost like a decent chunk of timing being pulled. It usually occurs with the rpms past 5k, and is more noticeable at part throttle than wide open. Could this be the PCM detecting knock, and pulling timing. I know that hot intake air causes spark knock, and especially under partial throttle, the a/f mixture would be leaner than a WOT pull, and the knock would be most prevalent. The other possiblity I've considered is IMRC fluctuation. I'm defintely getting the secondaries opening like normal, but I suppose its possible that they are fluttering a little if the control box is getting hot and having a hard time holding them open.

When its nice and cool out, the car pulls stronger in the upper rev ranges, and I don't notice this sudden, slight but noticable reduction in power. What I'd like to know is what kind of information those of you that have scanned on these cars have found on the PCMs knock retard tendencies. I know on my Grand Am, a Warm air intake was knock retard city, it would pull a lot of timing out, real fast, with hot intake air. Every degree of timing is supposed to be worth 1-3hp, so if you pull 6-10* of timing out, you'll really feel that. Anybody else dealt with this? I have a good handle on GM PCMs, but I have no idea how sensitive and severely Ford react to knock.

Current Ride: 1998 Contour SVT - T-Red, Res. Delete, K&N under the hood, broken side skirt at passenger rear jackpoint. Its FOR SALE, see the classifieds.
S
S
I am having the same problem. Some runs to 7k pull nice and strong, then I'll run her up again and above 5k you notice a good amount of power loss like its holding back. I also and running a short ram intake which must be killing it with the hot days were starting to experience.

A
acammer Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Nobodies done any scanning on these cars, and theres no data to support or deny these ideas?

Current Ride: 1998 Contour SVT - T-Red, Res. Delete, K&N under the hood, broken side skirt at passenger rear jackpoint. Its FOR SALE, see the classifieds.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
The only testing I did was before my heatshield i felt the same effects you did. After the heatshield, I hardly ever notice anything like that.

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I also have these symptoms. I don't have them as often after half completing the heat shield. I've been meaning to datalog the IAT... but I might end up finishing the heat shield before I get around to it.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by acammer:
Nobodies done any scanning on these cars, and theres no data to support or deny these ideas?

The problem is that I didn't feel like reading your whole post and digging out what you are asking.
Like advertising, if you don't have someone engaged in the topic, you have to catch the eye with something.

Like:

My IAT logs show 1 Meelion degrees. Anyone else have this problem?

And then I'd look and say "No, mine fluctuated depending on temps between 80 and 125 F and certain times of the year, or something like that.
See, I STILL haven't read the first post.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
A
acammer Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Alright, I'll make this short and sweet.... do you guys with WAIs typically see high IATs and subsquent large amounts of timing being pulled, or is my loss of power feeling more likely IMRC fluctuation? (140k on the original box, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.)

I'm trying to see if there is a major corelation between IATs and timing reduction.

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
When the IAT sees higher intake temps, the timing retards. Welcome to high-tech automobiles.

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by 92x_Hightower:
When the IAT sees higher intake temps, the timing retards. Welcome to high-tech automobiles.

i thought it was with the engine coolant temp, I saw my timing advance go to zero when teh car was idling when the coolant temp hit 212 when the fans kicked on

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard