Next Thread
Print Thread
#1580282 05/29/06 02:33 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Hi guys -- didn't want to double post, but no one has responded to my thread about the ABS unit lately......

When the guy pulled the codes that indicated the ANBS unit was dead, he also go tthe sensor codes(1148, 1168, 1158, 1176). Would this be one indicator that the unit is dead, or am I on the hook for all four sensors as well? Thanks.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
#1580283 05/29/06 09:42 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
It is highly unlikely that all four sensors would fail at the same time. It is much more likely that something common to all of them has failed or is acting up.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#1580284 05/30/06 02:31 AM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Big Jim:
It is highly unlikely that all four sensors would fail at the same time. It is much more likely that something common to all of them has failed or is acting up.

And I can only add bad news. Based on the codes and from the 1996 Ford CD Manual for ABS without Traction Control, these are the common items for the codes that you got.

1) Open or short circuit (I presume main wire harness for ABS)
2) wire harness (I presume main wire harness for the ABS)
3) damaged anti-lock brake control (module?)

Edit. It says to go to Pinpoint Test E.

�² E1: CHECK WHEEL SPEED SENSOR OUTPUT
�² E2: CHECK WHEEL SPEED SENSOR CIRCUITRY FOR SHORT TO GROUND
�² E3: MEASURE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR RESISTANCE
�² E4: CHECK WHEEL SPEED SENSOR WIRING FOR SHORT
�² E5: CHECK WHEEL SPEED SENSOR CIRCUITRY FOR OPEN
�² E6: CHECK RESISTANCE AT WHEEL SPEED SENSOR
�² E7: CHECK ANTI-LOCK BRAKE INDICATOR

In E8,
it says,

E8 CHECK ANTI-LOCK BRAKE CONTROL MODULE

l Start engine and observe anti-lock brake warning indicator.

l Is indicator illuminated after 5-10 seconds?

Yes
REPLACE hydraulic control unit (HCU). REFER to �«Section 06-06�» for proper bleeding procedure.

No
The fault was corrected in the previous step. CLEAR all DTCs.

Edit. HCU removal and reinstallation from Autozone.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/d9/85/0900823d801bd985.jsp

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/30/06 02:41 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1580285 05/30/06 12:18 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I just had the hydraulic unit replaced. The codes I quoted were from before it was done. Ford wanted $2700 Cdn. for the job so I went to a wrecker for the piece, then had the ABS unit flushed by Ford. The light was acting normal: every time I turned on the car, the light would be on for 30 seconds or so, then go off. Naturally, as soon as I hit the brakes, it came back on. After a couple of days of this, it would stay off for a while then come back on. I am very confused.

Last edited by Phil Rohtla; 05/30/06 12:56 PM.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
#1580286 05/30/06 01:55 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
I just had the hydraulic unit replaced. The codes I quoted were from before it was done. Ford wanted $2700 Cdn. for the job so I went to a wrecker for the piece, then had the ABS unit flushed by Ford. The light was acting normal: every time I turned on the car, the light would be on for 30 seconds or so, then go off. Naturally, as soon as I hit the brakes, it came back on. After a couple of days of this, it would stay off for a while then come back on. I am very confused.

Maybe the used HCU is faulty, the HCU needs to be bled again or the wiring harness is the culprit.

Edit. What are the new ABS code(s)?

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/30/06 02:01 PM.

#1580287 05/30/06 02:32 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Sorry if I wasn't more clear -- there are no new ABS codes as of yet: the codes I listed came as a result of reading the system BEFORE the "newsed" one was installed. I was wondering if those codes were separate from a code telling the tech that the ABS unit was done for.

I guess I could still have a sensor or two to do. That might explain why the light would only come on after hitting the brakes. I guess my best bet is to get the codes read again.

#1580288 05/30/06 02:43 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
... I guess my best bet is to get the codes read again.

Yes. As you found out, ABS repairs are expensive. Narrow down the possibilities first before changing parts.

#1580289 06/02/06 04:01 PM
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Sorry to hear about your pain Phil! I'm so glad ABS was a option, and even the used one I just bought doesn't have ABS. It's bad enough the expense is so ridiculous, it seems these systems could be better designed so troubleshooting wasn't a pain.
I read on Edmund.com (Ford Edge) where several people were applauding Ford for making ABS,traction control and the so called stability control standard just like everone else does. I like having choice rather than having something shoved down my throat. I realize the "do-gooders" starting with Nader and so on thought they were doing the right thing, it just goes show what the "dumb'in-up of the public" has done.
It's amazing how good of job the marketing types have takin advantage? Oh you got to have this it's so great and if you don't have it your unsafe. Some inside info from Highway Patrol friend, accident reports are showing that vehicles with all the bells and whistles are only allowing the drivers to drive well above their abilities. His quote to me "drivers have no idea the dynamics they're dealing with".

Well that's my impression of all these loaded vehicles. How about a "kiss" vehicle that just gets decent gas mileage and is fun to drive? Hey I own two one's on the road the other a back-up or if I ever find another job pay would make it worthwhile to have both.
Sorry CEG just an Old Fart Baby Boomer whose out of the mainstream job market earlier than planned! Unfortunately there are more of us in my situation than our government realizes or wants to acknowledge.

Paul
98 Mystique LS 2 ea (07/97)(08/98)

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
#1580290 06/14/06 06:34 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Finally got around to having the codes rread again. They showed the right front sensor, and the ABS unit. However, last night before the tech read the codes, I explained to him everything that had happened thus far. He says that it is not uncommon for the system to get a code from something a few times, then just assume the control unit is faulty. I will be putting the new sensot in soon, hoping that this solves it once and for all.

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard