Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Looking at the parts diagram for TSB-96-19-5 it looks the same as what's under there already.

Is it a revised IAC with the same tubing? Did the tubing change at all?

I looked up the IAC part# in the FAQ and I get an IAC for either a 4.6L Ford F-150, or for a Contour. Interesting. It also says the FAQ part number has been superceded. Did the part change at all? Or just the number?

I know there's a later TSB, but I thought it applied only to the SVT. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You'd think I could have found this in the main site FAQ, the FAQ for this forum (Duratec Maintenance), or by searching. Trust me I've tried all three. Must be looking for the wrong thing.

And, oh yeah, I got moosing.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Yes, it is a mistake. The picture is the stock assembly.

You need the bagpipe fix or the new 45 degree bend with new IAC valve fix or the TH copper cap fix.

Edit. Moosing thread.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=1148660&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

And the FAQ for moosing.
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=15

You need to get the correct IAC valve as some have posted that different years have changed. In addition, need to get the Ford OEM as some have posted that the moosing starts or gets worse after installing a aftermarket IAC valve.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Thanks, Tony.

Guess I needed to search "moosing."

Anyway, from your info, I searched "bagpipe fix" and found this part number:

F6RZ9B659CA - OEM Catalog
DUCT-ENG A/CLNR TO E
($82.16 from Fordpartsonline)

Does this include all the right pieces?

What's different about the accordian tube?

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"Anyway, from your info, I searched "bagpipe fix" and found this part number:

F6RZ9B659CA - OEM Catalog
DUCT-ENG A/CLNR TO E
($82.16 from Fordpartsonline)

Does this include all the right pieces?"

Yes, you will get a new accordian tube, a new "s" tube and the bagpipe resonator with "t" connector. I bought from Fordpartsonline using the same part number more than a year ago.

"What's different about the accordian tube?"

Our 96 accordian tube does not have the male end for the "S" tube going to the the IAC valve area (as the "milk can" or resonator has the male end incorporated into it). The new accordian tube just has an additional plastic male end so that you can connect the new "S" tube to it. I guess if you can get someone to sell you just the "S" tube and bagpipe resonator with "t" connector, it might be cheaper. You will then just have to buy a small PVC pipe to connect both female ends (your old accordian tube and new "S" tube).

If you decide to go with the 97 fix (45 bend tube with new IAC valve and gasket), you will need to put in a male end PVC pipe for the 45 bend tube and accordian tube (intake duct). Or you can cut out a portion from the stock "milk can" resonator and use it as the male ends for the accordian tube and 45 degree bend.

Edit. Not that this applies to you as you have a MTX. But as a heads up for future searches for those with ATX.

To add insult to injury, if you have an ATX and you go with the 96 bagpipe fix, you can't access the ATX dipstick to check the fluid level after installing the new tubes. I had to redo the tubes by putting the "S" portion towards the IAC valve end and putting the "T" connector to the accordian tube end and then turning the bapipe resonator so that it points towards the driver side front wheel.

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/26/06 07:21 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I have the parts from the accorian tube to the UIM fi anyone needs them.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Part way through one of those threads there is another later TSB that deals with the "moose" noise. "Moose" is not a Ford term. When I was chasing a noise on my car when it was nearly new, I tried the later TSB as a warranty repair. It did away with the bagpipe and had a new part number for the IAC.

The noise I was chasing turned out to be the power steering pump. The noise was cured when the pump was replaced due to a front seal leak.

The car was several years old before I ever heard the "moose", and that was after the TSB "cure". I had heard the "moose" on other Ford engines though so I recognized it when I heard it.

I would say don't bother with the TSB parts. Clean the IAC and consider adding the throttle hang fix. Even at that you may get some ocassional "moose" noise, especially as the weather changes, usually as winter approaches.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
R
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Part way through one of those threads there is another later TSB that deals with the "moose" noise. "Moose" is not a Ford term. When I was chasing a noise on my car when it was nearly new, I tried the later TSB as a warranty repair. It did away with the bagpipe and had a new part number for the IAC.

The noise I was chasing turned out to be the power steering pump. The noise was cured when the pump was replaced due to a front seal leak.

The car was several years old before I ever heard the "moose", and that was after the TSB "cure". I had heard the "moose" on other Ford engines though so I recognized it when I heard it.

I would say don't bother with the TSB parts. Clean the IAC and consider adding the throttle hang fix. Even at that you may get some ocassional "moose" noise, especially as the weather changes, usually as winter approaches.

Hmmm. Curious.

I've developed what I think is moosing, but only in recent years. I didn't have a problem early on, or even when I replaced my stock airbox with an open ITG filter.

It is very much intermittent. It seems to occur only in the summer, when the car is hot from sitting outside, and when the a/c is on.

I've tried the TH fix before, just fthoi. I didn't care for it. It dropped throttle faster, yes, but it also messed with the cycling of the A/C. I could have experimented with hole size, but I didn't feel the benefit was worth it.

As for the PS pump, I have had an insidious seeping in that area for some time. In colder weather, I can hear a small groan or whine as I turn the wheel. My PS pump may be on the way out, too.

Link Copied to Clipboard