#1577842 05/24/06 07:16 PM
D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Hey NW
I'm graduating in Aug. as a Physician Assistant. I've got a potential job in The Dalles. It looks like a great place - I've heard that I'd enjoy the outdoor activities, but the city is a little dull. (I'm ok with small and quiet, my fiance a little less so.)

Anyway, I'm just wondering if I can get a few opinions on the place before I head out to interview. I like to keep an open mind, but it's also nice to have some background info.

Thanks!

P.S. Yes, I'm back to looking at the NW. Anyone remember when I was applying to PA schools out there?

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Now that you drive a Scion, let's pretend we didn't meet @ McMenamin's Cornelius Pass Roadhouse.

The Dalles is on the hot-dry high desert end of the Columbia River Gorge. Yes, the town is small, BUT...

Then you're only 87 miles from an urban fix in Portland, complete with Powell's Books, Movie Madness and a dragstrip and road race course at Ptld Intrntl Raceway; really close to downhill skiing at Mt. Hood Meadows (though not as powdery as the Wasatch Range); 20 miles from world class windsurfing at Hood River; less than an hour drive to the wild hot springs on the Wind River, close to Carson WA; really close to having the Pacific Crest Trail all to yourself on Mt. Adams; close to white water rafting and flyfishing on the Des Chutes River; a survivable drive to Seattle for the Seahawks, Mariners, Boeing Museum, and Music Experience museum; drive a little further and you're in Vancouver BC or on a ferry to Victoria. Did you want mountain bike trails or paved road bike trips or both at Mt. Hood? Water skiing on the Columbia or head south to Lake Billy Chinook, west of Madras. The hairpins on US 197 would make you miss your CSVT.

OK, The Dalles gets some real ice storms in the winter. Maybe you should stay the hell away. You'd hate it there.

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Good info, thanks. Thanks for the PM, too.

Everything I've heard about the area is that it's a playground, but the city is small. And that's ok with me. I like smaller cities with access to bigger cities. The things I do everyday are running, biking, hiking, etc. (I really want to get a fly rod, too.) I don't go to concerts, museums, etc everyday...but I do love having access to those things. I think this might be a good option for Ashley and I at this point.

I hope to make it out there next week - going to call the folks today and see how the travel plans are going.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone know the cost of living, say relative to Portland? Everything I've found on the internet (using cost of living comparison calculators) says it's cheaper to live there than SLC or Portland. Is this true?

P.S. - With a good salary, the possibility of a "fun car" is very high. I hope to be enjoying the twisties once again.

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Ashley and I are flyin' out there tomorrow for interviews. We're pretty excited.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Here's hoping these interviews, along with others you will have coming up, go well.

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Thanks!

D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Interviews went well...just hoping/waiting for them to extend an official offer.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Keep us posted.

Where else are you attempting to interview/get offers?

D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by PDXSVT:
Where else are you attempting to interview/get offers?

SLC (Draper) - Family practice
SLC - Diabetes center (Though I heard they just hired... )
Shelton, WA - Family practice

D
Derk-xB Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Got the job!
Looks like I'll be heading up there in August!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  kerrychin_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard