Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tisby Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
How did you remove the retaining ring? The directions specify Cut-off Tool 310-133 to cut the tabs, but my dealer looked at me like I'm a freaking idoit, even when I showed them the directions from Ford. Anyone?

2000 Mystique LS Duratec 2.5L MTX
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Are you talking about the ring that holds the whole assembly in the fuel tank?

If so, after removing seat & gaining access to the ring (snipped the sheet metal to open the hole up more for removal of pump assy later), I just put two large screwdrivers to tabs on opposite sides of the ring, crossed the screwdriver handles to make a nifty home-made 'X' tool & turned counter clockwise. Took some significant brute force, but it came out nice & neat. Large screwdrivers are best in this case.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
T
Tisby Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
No, I'm talking about the retaining ring that the whole pump assembly twists into onthe floor of the fuel tank. The redesgned assembly is held in from the top of the tank and requires the removal of that retaining ring. This post here, might clarify what I'm talking about.
EDIT
So the tool is $157.XX + shipping and tax , soo uhh... How the hell did you guys that have installed this thing do it?!?

Last edited by Tisby; 05/24/06 05:46 PM.

W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
No it doesn't. It goes in just like the old one. Throw away the directions that it came with and just remove the old one and replace with the new one.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I had my retaining ring cut out by Ford and the new design replaced. Its alot better than having your fuel sloshing away from the ring. I would cut it out and put in the entire housing rather than just the pump itself.
-tropictour

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Tisby:
How did you remove the retaining ring? The directions specify Cut-off Tool 310-133 to cut the tabs, but my dealer looked at me like I'm a freaking idoit, even when I showed them the directions from Ford. Anyone?

How much is the new style pump assembly??

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
Tisby Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
$206.71 from Bill Jenins, a couple bucks more from FordParts.com. And you need to be able to get your hands on that tool. Either try and borrow it from a dealer (mine had no idea what the hell I was talking about) or get it from Rotunda yourself (~$160 + shipping). It's been suggested to me to use diagonal pliers, but I'm really not comfortable doing that (spark --> BOOM!)

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Cutting plastic won't create a spark I would just lever the bugger out with a screw driver.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
Tisby Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Stazi:
Cutting plastic won't create a spark I would just lever the bugger out with a screw driver.

Not enough space to get decent leverage. I tried to fit my hand/arm into the tank to do it that way but it didn't work either. The directions from Ford actually say not to do it to keep from damaging the inside of the tank. Not sure if it would or not, but rather be safe than sorry...

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
There was someone on here that used a large razorblade. He said it worked well for him. So if you can find a flat wide blade of some sort that should probably work. Go look around at Sears, their bound to have something.
-tropictour

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit

Link Copied to Clipboard