Next Thread
Print Thread
L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
THis is for a ford contour (98) I4.

I imagine its similar i just want to find out if its similar or something else that could be causing this error.

I was driving today and i heard a ping noise and then when i stopped at a light and the check engine light came on. code P0340 (position sensor circuit malfunction") The engine seemed to kick as a misfire. Checked the plugs, all the wiring and i cant figure it out.

The car also started varying its RPM and the engine died. It seems to idle ok in N but dies in D. The tensioner is also flexing a lot. Its stable above 1000rpm but very variable below that. The engine runs rough and feels like its kicking back at idle. I turned on the AC in N and the engine stalled. Its fine a crusing speed but runs very rough and dies at idle.

Im not sure whats going on. Could this be a limp mode??? When the car gets going it runs just like before, constat speeds and RPM at any speed.

Please let me know. Im getting a position sensor replaced but i fear it may be others as well.

I also need some advice on how to diagnose the problem. I dont knoe how to replace the sensor or what it looks like on the car.

Any advice in general would be very helpful in terms of the symptoms of a faulty sensor. The car has 105,000km and its had its maintenance up to date.. timing belt....etc.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/23/06 05:01 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard