Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I am currently working on a replacement design upper strut mount with separate adjustable caster/camber. This will require modifications to the strut tower that will not be easily reversible.

They will NOT be cheap, I have not worked out price figures yet but I expect them to be in the $300 to $400 range.

They will be made from billet aluminum and anodized, the slots for adjusting camber will have markings for easy equal adjustments. The strut mount itself will be a pillow ball (spherical bearing) type.

They will be similar in design to these from Ground Control.

This is still in interest mode there have been no prototypes made. I will be doing extensive research before prototyping would begin. If there is enough interest I expect that the whole process will take approx. 6 months from prototype to production.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Was looking at doing something along these lines on the racecar.....i'm interested. However i'm going to research it myself as well and may go my own route, just an FYI.

All that would be required is pie-cutting the strut tower, making the top flat, welding the seams and adding a re-infocement plate.

~Josh

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I'm working on my own as well, but since I'm working so much overtime I have more money than time at the moment. I'd still like to do my own, but if it looks like I won't be able to manage it, I'd be in for them. Our rubber hats and eccentric camber kits are LOUSY. If you could make them cheaper (steel, no markings, weld-in fitment) you'd probably get a lot more business. I was thinking about more agressively eccentric plates with welded in pillow ball mounts - they'd be much cheaper and do nearly the same job.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
i might be interested if the price was right.

-a

koni kit - hpp rstb camber/plates - cf (yikes!) polyroll resistors - TCA's WR headers/ypipe -TB hiflow cat SFC's - XCal2 -dreaming of 3L-
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Jager-bud120:
All that would be required is pie-cutting the strut tower, making the top flat, welding the seams and adding a re-infocement plate.

gee thats it?

ya, I am definitely interested

yes... I am a cougar owner trolling on your board.
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Intrested for sure. Will be doing something of my own if this falls through. D2s said they couldn't do a pillow ball mount in this application, some lame excuse. Keep us/me posted. Thanks!

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Oh yeah: I'm thinking that this would give more bump travel if implemented properly, since the pillow-ball mount requires so much less room than the rubber mount. If you make it for coilovers only, you can get a lot more adjustment because of the smaller spring size, too.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I am looking at making them specific for coil over or stock type springs. You will only be able to interchange them buy getting the proper spring plate.

I am going to try and make it so serious strut tower modification is not required but removal of the cone from the bottom of the tower will be mandatory and thats what make returning to stock somewhat impossible.

Overall, there is not much that would keep cost low. I am also considering a making a strut bar that would be incorporated into the strut plate design.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by bensenvill:
Originally posted by Jager-bud120:

gee thats it?

I guess that's only a mild mod to me.....

You know those of you that haven't already should check out Mumm Brothers Racing they're the source for a lot of my inspiration and ahve done some wild things on a cougar.

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I was just reading up on SCCA class rules yesterday...

Enlarging that upper hole kicks you all the way out of Solo Street Prepared, IIRC (even though camber plates are allowed.)

I don't know about road racing, and of course it all depends on the sanctioning org. (SCCA, vs NASA, vs whoever)

Might be worth considering. Don't want to make a racing product that's illegal for all the likely Contour racing series.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard