Next Thread
Print Thread
A
acammer Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
So, school was awesome. It was freezing cold, but it didn't rain more than a few drops the whole day. Still managed to catch a nasty cold, that wind never stopped blowing. But the school was great, there was tech, and then about 45 minutes of instruction, then we started drills.

First drill was threshold braking, not much fun in an ABS equipped car, but worth the time to work on the pedal feel right at the edge. Next was the emergency lane change drill, that was a little more exciting, I found that I could drive in incredibly deep, very little braking, and just flick through, the Contour was real good at gathering itself up after the hard steering inputs.

Third was the skidpad test, roughly a 45 diameter circle which we would make a constant turn around, finding how much speed we could get away with before introducing understeer. The Contour defitnely has a nice lift-throttle oversteer, subtle, but available if you overdrive something a little. I, of course, only made left hand circuits, I didn't wanna take a chance on the oiling high-g right turn problem, even with an extra quart in the motor.

The last drill was the slalom. This was where the contour really surprised, it was very composed and quick through the slalom, my instructor even complimented the car, he was surprised when I told him it was all original factory suspension, just new springs a few weeks ago. Even when I'd start to accumulate too much speed, I could get back on the throttle some, and the rear end would play a little, but come back in line pretty readily.

After the drills, we put them all together in a course, that was a lot of fun. It was pretty fast too, there was a section where third gear was required for about 3-5 seconds. Lift throttle oversteer is much more prevalent at those higher speeds, but again, was desirable, and very nice and controlable.

It was a great school, the instructors were all very knowledgeable, and there was LOTs of seat time, as there was an instructor for every two cars. There was a new Subaru Legacy GT with full suspension and bolt-ons there, what a fast car. All, there was a purpose built '70 Chevelle, that was fun to watch. One girl even showed up in a rented Hundyia Sonata and pounded the piss out of it. It was a fun day, even saw three albino deer roaming the army base on the way in... that was a bit freaky.

Current Ride: 1998 Contour SVT - T-Red, Res. Delete, K&N under the hood, broken side skirt at passenger rear jackpoint. Its FOR SALE, see the classifieds.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Told ya it was a great site! I'm really sad I had to miss it. I'm going to be racing in Binghamton tomorrow if you want to try out your new skills. It's a new lot for us and it should be good.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Binghamton NY you mean? 'Cause if so, I wish I had my paycheck this week, I'd totally be there, it's less than an hour away from my house!

'99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...80K and running like it just rolled off the lot. Tryin' to add an extra .5L ASAP
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Why do you need a paycheck? It's free to come watch!

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
For gas! I've only been keeping what I absoloutely need to in my tank to get to work and back for the week since my mom's paying for it until I can pay her back for it.

'99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...80K and running like it just rolled off the lot. Tryin' to add an extra .5L ASAP

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard