Next Thread
Print Thread
#1573405 05/18/06 06:32 PM
I
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I
i just had my boxed in subframe installed. after a couple days it started creaking pretty badly. could this be happening if they did not pre load the control arms before they torqued them down? i had it done by a reliable shop but i dont think they have ever worked on a contour before. choices in idaho are pretty limited. any other possible causes? all they did was install the subframe and switch the eibachs for H&R's. It sounds just as bad as it did when the subframe was broken. help.

1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour MODS: Some.....always more coming
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
What brackets are you using to hold the sway bar to the sub frame?

I installed the large diameter Energy Suspension bushings, when I replaced my S/F and they creaked alot after a short period using the grease supplied with the bushings. I have since switched to synthetic brake grease on the bushings and it has stayed quite since.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
What exactly is creaking? Is it the sway bar (sounds more like squeaking than creaking)? Under what conditions does it happen?

My experience with "creaking" is that the chassis tends to creak when traversing a driveway diagonally. The rear of these cars is weak until/unless you install a strut tower bar. The trunk pass through is a notoriously "weak link" in the chassis.

Need more info. and observations to correctly diagnose your problem.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Bradness:
What exactly is creaking? Is it the sway bar (sounds more like squeaking than creaking)? Under what conditions does it happen?

My experience with "creaking" is that the chassis tends to creak when traversing a driveway diagonally. The rear of these cars is weak until/unless you install a strut tower bar. The trunk pass through is a notoriously "weak link" in the chassis.

Need more info. and observations to correctly diagnose your problem.

The strut tower bar really quieted down my car - a noise that I would describe as creaking. Noise reduction was the most noticeable(and welcome) change for me.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard