Print Thread
#1572703 05/16/06 10:58 PM
B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Finally got my car out of storage and installed my CAI. The battery is now up against a coolant hose. I drove home from school Milwaukee, WI to Geneva, IL. About a 2 hour drive. I am afraid that I am heating up the battery to much and it will both shorten its life and make the water / acid evaporate quicker. I am thinking of putting some kind or insulation between the battery and the coolant hose. The temperatures of the water / acid using a thermocouple: Closest cell to the hose 105 �° F, the cell furthest away from the hose was 71 �° F. I donâ��t really want to relocate my battery to the trunk so thatâ��s not an option. Any ideas??

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
put the battery in the trunk. that would solve the whole problem and clean up that corner of under the hood.

G/f's black 99se sport 5 speed 2 1/2 test pipe-custom cat back 3 single tip cai with kn3530 safc optimized tb 8mm plug wires spec stage 1 clutch svt front bumper
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by pimpdcontour:
put the battery in the trunk. that would solve the whole problem and clean up that corner of under the hood.

Read...he said he doesn't want to do that...

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by BlackE1:
Any ideas??

Originally posted by posthuman63t:
Originally posted by pimpdcontour:

Read...he said he doesn't want to do that...

Put the battery in the trunk: problem solved.
Remove CAI= problem solved.

IMO, the first suggestion is the best, but not for the lazy.

Black 1998.5 3L Oval Port Full HMS Transmission Lots of other stuff Ressurected 06/14/06
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I've had mine sitting like that for over a year and a half now. No big thing.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
It really heats up that much huh.....? what voltage is your battery at when it is that hot when the car is just turned off?

EGPLNT:MY 95' SE MTX SVT *200,000 MILE CLUB* 6/06/06 - 201,000 MILES
B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B

Originally posted by blu_fuz:
It really heats up that much huh.....? what voltage is your battery at when it is that hot when the car is just turned off?

I will check that next time i take it for a drive.
I assume your looking for a change in voltage from a cold to hot battery?

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B

Put the battery in the trunk: problem solved.
Remove CAI= problem solved.
IMO, the first suggestion is the best, but not for the lazy.

Its not that i am lazy, it will be cheaper to replace the battery sooner then re do the whole stereo set up i have in my trunk. plus the cost for the battery relocation kit.

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
What about a piece of plastic wrapped in Aluminum foil between the hose and the battery? Kinda like a heat sheild.

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
What is the battery's operating temps? What temp does your coolant get to? Is this hose before or after the radiator? (check flow)

Odds are, the battery is going to be fine. The normal underhood temps are close to coolant temps anyway. The surface area of where the hose touches the battery is probably very small as well (probably less than 1 square inch)

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard