Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Its not my car, so do with it what you wish.

The 1 degree or so at the top of the strut is nothing for the CV axle. That same amount of movement in the control arm is quite a bit.

And, since people tend to listen when some of the more vocal CEGer's talk, here is Stazi's take.

Originally posted by Stazi:
Essentially you shorten the distance between the tranny and the wheel which reduces the amount of plunge on the inner Tripod Joint. Hence the catastrohpic failure.

Source: Clicky.

Last edited by ExDelayed; 06/05/06 09:21 AM.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
J
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
Its not my car, so do with it what you wish.

The 1 degree or so at the top of the strut is nothing for the CV axle. That same amount of movement in the control arm is quite a bit.

Not saying you're wrong, it would just be odd if they didn't have some type of drivetrain engineer involved in the design (litigation issues alone). What you bring up is one of the reasons I asked just how much adjustment there is.

How far in does the ball joint need to be moved? If they really wanted to be custom, they could ask the customer how much lowering they need and cut the ball joint mounting holes to compensate. No concerns over something coming loose that way.

I�m curious to see what they come up with and hope it doesn't bind the axles as you've pointed out.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Tbh i cant see a company selling a product to the public without carrying out tests for strenth and durability.

ST24 Mondeo, 19's, Koni/GC coilovers, Morrette headlights, bespoke interior etc etc
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
I recall an email correspondence I had with Powerflex (UK co.) some time ago about replacement poly bushings for the Mondeo which they were working on. The reply I rec'd from the technical staff at Powerflex went something like "the 2 arm bushing is one of the worst designs they had seen and poly was totally incompatible with this suspension". They went on to explain that they had tried different durometer specs for the bushings and they had all failed under test.

Now I can understand the frustration that we all have with this part as I too am about to change my front A arnms for the third time. I'm fortunate in that my cars have all been 4 bolt arms and that at long last, there is a solution on the horizon.

If you wish to know about suspension design, look at any race or high performance car suspension. Suspension pivots are on a horizontal axis, not a vertical 1. This is just a bad design and more than likely why Ford went back to the 4 bolt arms with later Cougar production.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by Bradness:
I recall an email correspondence I had with Powerflex (UK co.) some time ago about replacement poly bushings for the Mondeo which they were working on. The reply I rec'd from the technical staff at Powerflex went something like "the 2 arm bushing is one of the worst designs they had seen and poly was totally incompatible with this suspension". They went on to explain that they had tried different durometer specs for the bushings and they had all failed under test.

Now I can understand the frustration that we all have with this part as I too am about to change my front A arnms for the third time. I'm fortunate in that my cars have all been 4 bolt arms and that at long last, there is a solution on the horizon.

If you wish to know about suspension design, look at any race or high performance car suspension. Suspension pivots are on a horizontal axis, not a vertical 1. This is just a bad design and more than likely why Ford went back to the 4 bolt arms with later Cougar production.

Bingo. The bushings are already a very poor design on the stock arm. The design of the bushings does not allow free movement of the arm up and down, as there is no real pivot line, only the rubber deflection that allows the arm to move up and down. If you replace the bushing with a harder material, it only makes it harder for the arm to move up and down, which makes the suspension work even less than w/ the crappy stock stuff. Some of you guys are comlaining about lack of options, but just because these parts are an option doesn't make it a good option, or even a "better than stock" option.
And as far as the linked post from the past, yeah, you shouldn't be using the lower arm to decrease camber, for exactly the reasons stated by stazi and capaldi. If you are that far gone, you have lowered your car too far beyond what is good for the suspension geometry.

Somebody want to send me a set of 2 bolt arms that have bad bushings, but good balljoints and I'll see what I can come up with for a better option? My takeout arms got pitched last time I changed mine . . .

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by PEWTNERST24:

Something I Noticed From This Pic...Is That Looks Like The New Replacement Ball Joint From MOOG, Which Uses Internal Lubrication And Eliminates The Grease Boot. Greasing Is Now In The Form Of A Zert In the Bottom Of The Ball Joint. I Don't Know About Anybody Else But I Have As Many Problems With Ball Joint Failures As I Do With Control Arm Bushings.

I Just Picked Up New Ball Joints From None Other Than "O'really's", And I Must Say That I'm Very Impressed With How Much Better The Ball Joint Is Designed. The Boot In The Photo Above Is Mearly A Dust Cover. Any Thoughts On This??
I'm Very Interested In Seeing Where This Thread Leads Us. Im In the Market For A New Set Of 4-Bolt LCA's, And Would Love To Be Kept Posted On Our Fellow CEGer's Engineering Of Some Good LCA's.

I Def. Agree With Rara's And Others Post On The 4-bolt Vs. 2-bolt Superiority. I Don't However Agree With Ford's Pricepoint For Those Bastids!!!!!!!!!

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Something I Noticed From This Pic...Is That Looks Like The New Replacement Ball Joint From MOOG, Which Uses Internal Lubrication And Eliminates The Grease Boot. Greasing Is Now In The Form Of A Zert In the Bottom Of The Ball Joint.

You KNow ForD Makes THem Liek That 2 nOw rIgHt?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

I Just Picked Up New Ball Joints From None Other Than "O'really's"

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
dood... you almost made me spray my monitor. That owl cracks me up.

Anyways... slightly OT, but it is possible to convert to 4 bolt from 2 bolt? Is it just the subframe and the arm, or is there more to it?

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by morbid:
dood... you almost made me spray my monitor. That owl cracks me up.

Anyways... slightly OT, but it is possible to convert to 4 bolt from 2 bolt? Is it just the subframe and the arm, or is there more to it?

I think so but I'll wait for someone to answer for sure. I'd like to do this conversion to my 2000 since I have a 98 parts car available with subframe.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard