Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#1571447 05/17/06 12:50 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
VCT does the same job as EGR. It just does it in a much less effecient way.
Like EGR, at WOT the VCT (theoreticaly) does not effect performance.
But as many know.... it does effect performance for daily driving, is quite a pain in the @ss to tune around, and expensive to fix.
That's why Ford went back to EGR.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
#1571448 05/17/06 08:11 AM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
My '96 has the EGR removed and it kicks a$$.

Explain

#1571449 05/17/06 02:37 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Augi:
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
My '96 has the EGR removed and it kicks a$$.

Explain

Sorry to say, this is a myth. Other than removing a couple things from the engine bay, removing the EGR does nothing. Unless your EGR system was broken when you removed it.

Removing the EGR does not increase performance or help throttle response.
Why?
Because EGR is disabled when the engine is under any load.
Which means when ever you are pressing down the throttle the EGR = off.

The only three reasons to remove EGR;
1) you are going FI and don't want to deal with programming for it
2) you want to use a non-egr header
3) you want to remove it from under hood for space/appearance

The function of EGR;

It helps to cool the cylinders on deceleration.
It's used to cool the cylinders down because the PCM spikes the timing to clear the cylinders of unburnt fuel. The clearing of the cylinders reduces emissions and increases subsequent cylinder filling with fresh air/fuel charge mixture.

EGR also adds octane (slows the burn in the chamber by introducing burnt exhaust gas
molicules that slow down the speed of the flame front
thru the cylinder).

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
#1571450 05/17/06 11:00 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. Also, don't believe everything that people tell you. Have you datalogged the EGR? I have. It's active all the friggin time. Not just during decel.

I'd like to add a couple items to your list...

The only three reasons to remove EGR;
1) you are going FI and don't want to deal with programming for it
2) you want to use a non-egr header
3) you want to remove it from under hood for space/appearance

4) it gunks up your entire intake screwing up flow
5) you like improving your throttle response

Have any of you pre-98 guys taken your intake off? I had a 1/8" layer of crud lining my intake manifold and runners.

Augi, try disabling EGR and see what you think. It's really easy, you disconnect the vacuum line from your EGR valve and plug it into the "REF" port on your DPFE sensor. Also, unplug the "HI" hose from the DPFE and plug it so it doesn't leak exhuast gasses. (It's the rectangular sensor next to the EGR solenoid on the firewall.) It's just that easy.

HTH,
BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
#1571451 05/17/06 11:04 PM
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Wow. Way too much of the whole "3-4 letter shortcut" thing goin on in here. It's like being in the middle of an Emergency Room on a Friday night. Can't understand a damn thing the doctors say. *sigh*

95 Contour LX Zetec Project "2.0" starting soon! LOOKING FOR: SVT Rear Bumper SE Lip Spoiler If you're selling either of these send me a PM - formerly known as Purple95LX -
#1571452 05/18/06 11:42 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
EGR=Exhaust Gas Recirculation

DPFE=Differential Pressure Feedback of EGR

THE DPFE sensor has two ports on it. One is the REF (reference) and the other is the HI (high pressure) port. They meter the pressure on either side of a venturi in the EGR pipe. (The area where the EGR pipe is reduced in diameter.) If there is a problem with the EGR system, there is no pressure drop across the venturi. You then get a lovely CEL (Check Engine Light).

All which the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) controls and monitors.

Fun stuff, huh?

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
#1571453 05/19/06 03:29 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I have removed my EGR, and it caused a CEL, which is what should happen.

EGR is on all the time, but it is not open all the time.

There have been a few times that Focus people have removed EGR and dynoed zero gain or even a loss due to the ECU throwing a DTC.

I do agree that it does build up some gunk in your intake, but it keep a clean engine (more than just average upkeep) and spray cleaner in you intake every once in awhile, that's not a problem.

Throttle response is hard to quantify. You would need to do a few back to back 1/4 mile runs with EGR on, then another few runs with it off, average the 60' times, then compare them. Otherwise it's using the completely inaccurate "butt dyno".

#1571454 05/20/06 11:58 PM
T
Thrust Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
VCT isn't any thing special hell ZXtuner.com makes a VCT delete kit. Ive been racing my Z for a while. BTW what size injectors does the 2000 contour zetec VCT engine have?

#1571455 06/26/06 10:36 PM
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
I know this is a OLD thread.. But I unhooked my EGR today like buttonpuncher mentioned.. The car FELT like it pulled a little better nad it did help the throttle responce but now it smells like exhaust fumes and when i popped the hood the egr pipe leading to the manifold was smoking

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
#1571456 06/26/06 11:15 PM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Because the exhaust gas is going inside the engine bay now.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard