Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1571254 05/14/06 08:36 PM
B
Burbaq Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I replaced my plugs and wires thinking that might be the problem but it didn't help.

My car will randomly like jerk around when i step on my accelerator, it does it a lot worse when I slowly go on it. My dad tried and he accelerates faster then me and it does it but doesn't last as long (like a brief second) but when i accelerate it's like a few seconds (2-7).

It seems to stop once i let off the pedel and then go right back on it which is what I usually do.

Took it to a shop about 2 months ago and they couldn't detect anythign wrong with it.

Car is a 99 contour 4 cyl with auto trans.

Last edited by Burbaq; 05/14/06 08:38 PM.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome . Auto or manual transmission? How many miles on the car? Is the Check Engine Light on? Get it scanned (free service) at Autozone or Advance and post the codes.

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/14/06 08:42 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Burbaq Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Auto transmission, 75k miles, no check engine light

Last edited by Burbaq; 05/14/06 08:54 PM.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Start the car. 1) Put it in Park. What happens? Is it smooth or is it idling rough?
2) Put it in Drive, step on the brake. Does it vibrate alot? or is it smooth?
3) When driving and the gear changes, is it a big jerk and bang before going from 1st to 2nd? or 2nd to 3rd?

B
Burbaq Offline OP
OP Offline
B
1) in park and neutral it idles good
2) when in drive and stopped at a light it vibrates some, when i took the car in it was also because they changed the timing belt and some pullies cause it died on me, it was idling a lot worse but still seems like it should be smoother now.
3) it is a jerk, seems to be around the gear shifting but my dad and the mechanic said it wasn't a transmission problem.

also I guess the engine light did come on, my dad didn't get the numbers from autozone but they said to try to change the plug wires and the (forget the name) where the plugs plug into, small square thing, which I havn't done because i don't think it's goign to help.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"... in park and neutral it idles good...when in drive and stopped at a light it vibrates some"
This could be engine/tranny mount issue.

"it is a jerk, seems to be around the gear shifting but my dad and the mechanic said it wasn't a transmission problem."
This could be Turbine Shaft Speed or Manual Lever Position sensor issue

"also I guess the engine light did come on, my dad didn't get the numbers from autozone"
Need to get it scanned again and post the codes to be sure.

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/14/06 09:13 PM.

B
Burbaq Offline OP
OP Offline
B
is it possible to scan it without a check engine light on?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Burbaq:
is it possible to scan it without a check engine light on?

Yes, it could be an intermittent or pending code and it might be stored in the PCM. The codes are crucial in making a good diagnosis.

Note that in my previous post I was very "squirly" with my suggestions. The next few times you drive the car, be very aware of what it is doing and post what you find out. The vibration/jerking could also be low or dirty ATFluid. Check the fluid and see if the level is correct and the condition of the fluid (should be clear red/pink). Buy a quart of Mercon/Dextron III ATFluid to compare. The cost of parts are $10 for ATFluid, $25 for TSS and $50 for MLPS. But before going the TSS and MLPS route, I would suggest scanning for the codes, then changing the ATFluid.

Edit. ATFluid change.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tranny&Number=992476&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

Read through these threads and see if it sounds like what you are experiencing.

Turbine Shaft Speed sensor issue.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tranny&Number=257675&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1
and this
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1030582&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

MLPS change.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1040336&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

The tranny shift lever cable is below the car.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1116780&Forum=trouble&Words=shift%20lever&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=1116416&Search=true#Post1116780

and from Autozone.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/d3/97/0900823d801bd397.jsp

D
D
Are you still having trouble with your car? If so check the link below for the MLPS sensor change, includes pictures. I had the exact same symptoms on a 96 Mercury Mystique that I bought for my daughter. I had the computer scanned and it set the code for the Transmission sensor. Sorry, don't have the exact code on me. I bought the MLPS sensor at Ford for $80 CAD. Took me about 30 minutes to install it and it's like driving a new car again. I feel for the people that have spend Hundreds of $$, or have replaced the tranny. Maybe the Ford Techs should start using Auto forums like this. I was so happy that I went and bought an OBD2 scanner while on vacation in Las Vegas last week. Picked up an Innova 3100C (supports the CAN protocol), at Checker Auto for $100 US. Great tool to own. Have 4 cars at home (teenagers), so it will come in handy.

I hope this post helps someone else. The Contours-Mystiques are great cars when they running properly.

MLPS change.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1040336&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Sounds like it COULD be an air/vacuum leak. At least that's how mine went.

Only thing is it's nor usually a "random" problem. Intermittent problems are usually caused by a sensor with a "wiper" function like the TPS.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard