Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
OP Offline
W
Well, it seems that the passenger side tie rod boot on my power steering rack developed a rip and all of my fluid came out through there and made a huge mess (as well as nearly catching fire). I may be a noob to Fords, but I wouldn't think that the fluid should be in the boot, so I'm assuming that a seal in the rack is shot and I need more than just a new boot. Does that sound right?

What throws me off is that when I squeeze the driver side boot, I can definately hear air moving through the rip in the passenger side boot... Are they supposed to be connected like that, or is the seal on the the driver side shot too? No fluid seems to be coming out of the driver side boot, or in it for that matter, so I'm a bit confused.

How much of a pain is it to fix this? I looks reasonably straight-forward, but I'm wondering if there are any surprises... Any tips or tricks?

Thanks

1998 Ford Contour LX - daily driver 1997 Acura Integra LS Turbo - NASA/SCCA race car
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Time for a new rack. PITA, just did it last summer.

You're right, it is a blown seal on the shaft inside the boot.

The two sides are connected by an air tube to allow air pressures to equalize when turning. Once you get the rack out (or have the replacement in hand), this will be pretty obvious once you know what to look for.

Replacement of the failed seal is not a viable option for a DIYer.

I supported the drivetrain with an overhead support and dropped the whole subframe when I did mine.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard