Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I spent days getting the ports to match the LIM and rebuilding the upper and lower edges of the gaskets surfaces. The gasket lays over beautifully and the intake runners are funneled down evenly to the valves ports. I polished the living day lights out of the exhaust to mirror reflection anbd widened the ports up and narrowed down the split some too. I am very satisfied with the results so now I am going to send the head to get a 3 angle job done.

And one quick question for most I wrote down the number like 1L 2L 3L etc for the cam caps when I took the heads down. When I put them back on I noticed they had (2) 4L but when I took them down noitcing this I wrote down the three digit number too so I could distinguish the two. But After observing the caps is it possible that a mechanic on the 3 liter motor replaced one while it was in the previous escape. I know it came out a wrecked car too. I will plastic guage the caps dry and make sure the gaps are right onb. Plus afterwards I will prelube the cam and then place them in the heads without lifters and see if the cams spin freely torqued up. It sucks when you don't know who did what to the engine previousily. But note I did completly rebuild the 3 liter even boring it over .020 too. along with the crank balanced and polished too. Thanks for the info guys on the oval port conversion can't wait to get some 400 whp ++++ soon.

Last edited by BurritaSVT; 05/12/06 10:28 PM.

99 SVT #198 blk/blue Spec 3/quaife/stage 2 shafts T3/T4 fully built 3.0 ported heads water injec./intercooled 13.2 @ 107 mph clifford alarm and turbo timer koni struts H&R springs intercooler for sale
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Very very nice . Can't wait to see the finished product.

Aaron

AKA NVS SVT 98.5 Silver/Blue SVT#4553 Yeah it's modded 98 T-Red/Blue SVT Contour Totaled 06/05/06 03 3L,VCN 2000,CAT Cams,MSDS Headers w/Y-Pipe,XCal2 and lots more
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Did the cams spin freely? If so, I wouldn't seat it. I noticed the 3L heads in my car had either no markings on them or dupicate numbers I just put the caps back on the head after pulling each cam to make sure they went back on the same way they were intended.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I did put the caps exactly as I got them off just makes me wonder why the factory would not duplicate the same principles as the others. I did notice that my 2.5 liter heads had no duplicate labels and were exactly in order too oh and were stamped clearly. The ones that don't have stamped numbers do just they are so weak that you have to rub it and read it at an angle or they were stamped off center. wake up ford like to have some consistency. I didn't try the cams yet they are the valve shop.

99 SVT #198 blk/blue Spec 3/quaife/stage 2 shafts T3/T4 fully built 3.0 ported heads water injec./intercooled 13.2 @ 107 mph clifford alarm and turbo timer koni struts H&R springs intercooler for sale
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
On my 2003 block, there were two out of order caps on one of the camshafts. I'm going to put them back on in the same way. If it ain't broke...

Black 1998.5 3L Oval Port Full HMS Transmission Lots of other stuff Ressurected 06/14/06
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by BurritaSVT:
I did put the caps exactly as I got them off just makes me wonder why the factory would not duplicate the same principles as the others. I did notice that my 2.5 liter heads had no duplicate labels and were exactly in order too oh and were stamped clearly. The ones that don't have stamped numbers do just they are so weak that you have to rub it and read it at an angle or they were stamped off center. wake up ford like to have some consistency. I didn't try the cams yet they are the valve shop.

Hey, you never know when the assembly line had an issue and just used some caps that weren't stamped right.
They may have even stamped them before they journals were line bored, making it likely that it could read a wrong number but still be fine.

Just put them back the way you found them and if you are worried, use some plastigauge to check the clearance on any cap you choose. Compare the plasti-gauge reading with a cam cap that you know is stamped correctly and in the correct place to assure yourself the clearances are correct.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Mine all got mixed in a bag...long story and I could only make out about half the numbers for sure about half of what was left had some illegible markings and therest had none.

as long as the cams spin like hot corn in butter...you're good.

98 E0 SVT with some stuff

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard