Next Thread
Print Thread
F
flsvt Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
F
Well i have my tranny at a transmission shop i've never been to, and they quoted me 300-400 to fix the broken bushing. They said that you can't get the bushings with out buiying the whole rod. Is this true? Where can i get the parts cheap? And is this something that you can do your self, nothinf=g to technical? Thanks

98 contour SVT (6/2/04) 93 RX7 (5/1/00) 02 suzuki GSXR
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
You can get the cable end (collett) by itself. Call Bill Jenkins at Team Ford in Las Vegas. The parts catalog is hard to read and some parts guys can only find the replacement parts for the entire cable.

There are recent threads on this very issue in the Transaxle Forum. You can also find a wealth if information on this very issue if you look for a thread of mine from about a year ago titled "it finally happened".

If the bushing is worn on the white cable end, I strongly recommend that you buy the replacement cable end and remove the bushing and install the new bushing on the old cable end.

The cable end, from Bill Jenkins, is only about $10.00 to $15.00 including freight.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
You want these. Just remove the ends. DO NOT seperate the bushings! Jim why do you tell people that when the ends are removable?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by todras:
You want these. Just remove the ends. DO NOT seperate the bushings! Jim why do you tell people that when the ends are removable?

Because I could have fixed my car in ten minutes by changing the bushing. I ended up spending an entire Saturday afternoon because of complications. The white cable end would not seperate from the cable without cutting it off. Once off, the new cable end would not slide onto the cable because the black plastic part of the cable where the white part attaches was distorted. I had to trim it off so that the cable end would slide over. And then I had the hassle of adjusting the cable.

If you want to learn from my experience, just change the bushing. If you want to learn about the hassle for yourself, go right ahead and waste the better part of a Saturday.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
So I guess it would best to try to remove the end first. If it won't come off (and it wants to stay on there) then change the bushing.

MODS: Move this to transaxle please.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I would not disagree with either one. Trying to remove it first and moving this to the Transaxle forum. But you would still have the hassle of adjusting the cable.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
From TH:

Changing the cable ends is no sweat on the early orange lock type (later red lock type cannot be changed,need a whole assy)
*BEFORE you try to remove the ends MARK the position on the cable end on the square serrated inner plactic section with some tape
*need to gently prise the old end off the square inner cable section due to a lock clip on the cable end, a small screwdriver can be used, with care, to break the lock tab off
*WARM the new cable ends in hot water so the unbroken lock tab on the new ends will ease over the square center section...they are tight but DONT break off the lock tab on the new end
*Be sure the lock clips(orange buttons)are pushed IN and locked to let the square section slide into the orange lock
*Also slide the end on in the correct position so the serrations on the orange clip will engage on the serrations on the square center block
*When the new ends are flush with the tape/mark of the old position release the orange lock buttons so they pop OUT under the spring pressure and LOCK on the square center section....easy 'aint it mate!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard