Next Thread
Print Thread
#1569964 05/12/06 11:01 AM
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
i've been experiencing some moderate vibes under varying driving conditions coming from the front end.

some of it was attributable to a warped disc, which has been changed (brake overhaul all around), but some vibage still remains.

noticing some slop in my steering, i shifted my focus to tie rods. after replacing the outers, i still have vibes - and slop.

this weekend, i'll try to rule out the tires/wheels as the source of the vibes by doing a rotation, but there's something else quite noteworthy that i fear is going to cost me a lot of dough.

with the front end jacked so the tires clear the concrete, grabbing hold of the wheel (driver or pass side) at 9 and 3 o'clock and yanking vigorously from side to side, i hear a single, mechanical *thud* or *clunk* coming from the rack area with each yank. as i yank from side to side, i can see play - it's not much, but i can see it.

lord - tell me my rack's not shot.

could this just be inner tie rods?

#1569965 05/12/06 12:14 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
what year do you have, I would make sure you check the lower control arm bushings and when they are shot you will get soem front end vibration

also my 95 has had this slight clunking noise when you move the wheel slightly when not moving, never found the sorce of the noise ...

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1569966 05/12/06 12:25 PM
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
oh yeah, sorry apple, i often forget to include the particulars:

98 v6 auto, 112k.

bushings, eh? i suppose after this many years and miles, everything starts to go...

#1569967 05/12/06 12:59 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
definately check the bushing if you have the 4 bolt arms as they are going to be shot, I had bad vibration braking at highway speed, new brakes got some of it but the rest was all the lower control arms, I replaced those and with some new shock the car feels new again ...

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1569968 05/12/06 01:03 PM
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
thanks, apple. i'll definitely have a look at this.

if anyone has any other ideas, pipe up!

#1569969 05/12/06 01:45 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by BrApple:
... the lower control arms, I replaced those and with some new shock the car feels new again ...

..and also check the lower ball joints while you are checking the LCA.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1569970 05/12/06 01:48 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Tony2005:
... the lower control arms, I replaced those and with some new shock the car feels new again ...

..and also check the lower ball joints while you are checking the LCA.

good point but if the bushing are gone that will be taken care of, but also the ball joints have been in good shape on all the arms that my father and I have changed on our cars

#1569971 05/28/06 05:24 PM
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
UPDATE!!!

definately check the bushing if you have the 4 bolt arms as they are going to be shot...

well, I'm pleased to report that your diagnosis was correct, apple. the forward bushings on both control arms had so much lateral play in them, you wouldn't believe it. i certainly didn't.

i purchased new arms and hardware and did the job yesterday. i spent about 4 hours on them, taking my time. for those interested, i spent $310 for both arms and hardware, shipped, from steve at tousley. not bad.

also, i've noticed quite a bit of debate lately regarding the best approach for replacing these bad boys. for what it's worth, here's what i was able to do (4-bolt type):

passenger side:

each bolt has easy access for removal and installation, except one - the sucker under the shaft bootie. i sawed the head off this one to remove it, but was able to muscle the new one in the correct way (bolt head on top) without damaging the bootie.

it helped significantly here to have a second person pushing the knuckle assembly rearward to gain another few fractions of an inch of clearance on the bolt hole.

driver side:

basically the same story. i've heard some folks sawing the bolt(s) under the tranny, but this wasn't necessary for me. a nice sized prybar did the trick here. pry the tranny out of the way just enough to slip the bolt(s) out. this worked for both forward bushing bolts.

again, i sawed the sucker under the shaft bootie. on this side, however, i gained just enough clearance on the bolt hole for installation by having a second person shove the knuckle assembly FORWARD. the bolt will rub against the bootie quite a bit on the way in, but it's possible to do without damaging the bootie.

so all bolts were able to be installed correctly. thanks to everyone for all the good background info on this topic. helped me tremendously, as these forums always do.

#1569972 05/31/06 04:08 AM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Hmmm when I did mine for the ones with the CV in the way, I had the bottom ball popped, and took the tie rod off, loosen top strut holder under hood on strut tower some for play and moved it over, pressed the boot in, and cleared it.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard